General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Found cut tube in engine after being in shop

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 03:09 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Found cut tube in engine after being in shop

Hi,

I live in phoenix, AZ and recently took my 2001 Land Rover Discovery to a local shop. After it was returned to me, I looked under the hood and found a tube that was cut with scissors, and was left exposed. The tube used to connect from the left side of the engine to the right side, and is now missing 3 feet. The left side of the tube used to connect to a fluid reservoir. The right side of the tube used to connect down the the drivers side wheel area. I have included a picture with arrows indicating where the ends of the tube now are. The two arrows should be connected. I found the tube stuffed away next to the battery compartment. It is a hard plastic tube that snaps when pressure is applied to it. Can anybody tell me what this is/was used for?

P.S. I have had the 3 amigos for about a year (before this tube was removed). Is it possible that the local shop was able to clear my fault codes, fix my 3 amigo problem, but intentionally made the fault codes stay by removing this tube? They quoted me $2,000 for a new abs modulator. This tube leads to the wheel they said was causing the problem.

Thanks,
Ron

Old 11-29-2008, 05:07 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Found cut tube in engine after being in shop

Your pix didn't post. As for the 3 amigos, sometimes a sensor (cheap), and sometimes the modulator. However, get the code - if it's the shuttle valve, there isa repair kit available for around $65 that fixed mine. LR's only option was $2000, but my indie mechanic put the shuttle valve in, reset all, bled fluids, etc. for around $150. (I don't mess with braking systems, but it was mostly a bench job after removal of easily accessible modulator)

Old 11-29-2008, 07:51 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Found cut tube in engine after being in shop

I have found out that the coolant tube being short and exposed is normal. However, there are 2 other locations with cut tubes, and I am looking for some info on what they do/where they are supposed to go. The first tube is on the right side of the engine. I have traced the tube, and it leads to the driver side wheel. The second tube is found in the back area of the engine, but can only be seen if looking straight down into the engine. The end is U shaped.

The second tube is found in the back area of the engine, but can only be seen if looking straight down into the engine. The end is U shaped.

So in summary, the coolant tube makes sense if it supposed to be cut. But there are 2 other severed tubes that I would appreciate some insight on.Thanks,Ron