General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

General OBDII questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2018, 11:23 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 365 Likes on 284 Posts
Default General OBDII questions

This is my first exposure to ODBII. I bought a $15 Kitbest WiFi dongle and the OBD Fusion app. So far it works great but I have a few questions for those who have gone before me. I have an 04 Discovery II however I think some of these questions probably apply to any OBDII. When I bought the truck there were no brakes, pads were wafer thin, metal on metal and some lines were leaking. I took it on a cautious test drive (bought it from a friend) and the three amigos showed up under braking. At first they reset with a key off, eventually they were continuous. I refurbed the braking system and the amigos never came back in the 300 or so miles I've driven it. Last night during extended backing up, when I looked back at the dash the S & M lights were blinking. Key off reset and the lights haven't come back on. I ran the OBD Fusion app and there are no codes in the system. I read about the battery issues and the S & M lights, this battery isn't new but it cranks like a mother. SES has never come on (yet). Is it normal to see dash warnings like those which reset when normal conditions resume and no codes are stored?

Here are a couple screen shots and additional questions. Truck runs pretty well and the seller said there was nothing else wrong he was aware of. As I mentioned, he is a friend and while he may not have known about something wrong, he had no reason to conceal anything. Thanks in advance for anyone willing to chime in as I wade through this stuff.

I don't get what the Continuous column is supposed to signify. The AC blows hot and the compressor doesn't come on so I assume the system is out of refrigerant and the pressure switch is open. I believe these trucks don't have an EGR system? That leaves the heated cat. Is it referring to a preheat on the O2 sensors? Truck was cold when I ran the report. Is this reading normal?

Is this truck a 2 or 4 O2 sensor setup? I am assuming there is a pre and post cat on each side for a total 4, but not 4 on each bank? There was a whole list of sensor tests after this and it passed each one so I didn't screen shot it.

WTF is this? Anything of real value here?

Old 05-12-2018, 12:19 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 84 Likes on 64 Posts

Mode6 is the readiness monitors. If you live somewhere that does emissions testing they use mode 6 to determine pass/fail

The following users liked this post:
ahab (05-12-2018)
Old 05-12-2018, 02:38 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 365 Likes on 284 Posts

Thank you. They will test emissions at inspection.