LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

General LR3 Mod questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 10:04 AM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default General LR3 Mod questions

Hi there, I just picked up a 2005 LR3 HSE in white. I wanted to know about brake upgrades for this car... I noticed it does not have great stopping power and I was thinking about replacing the rotors with the larger Range Rover Sport Supercharged brake rotors... they are 14" in diameter rather than 11", and then making a new caliper carrier to move my caliper further out to fit the new rotor.. Both cars use the 5x120 bolt pattern, and the brake rotors have similar geometry but i have to check it 100% still. I think this would work just fine, I did this on my Audi S4 and it has never given me any problems.

I also had a question on the fuse that runs the right cigarette lighter plug. it went out and when i pulled it, its a 4 prong box that looks more like a relay... I cant find a replacement at a parts store. any thoughts

The third thing is the gas mileage is around 14... any way i can squeeze more out of this? or keep the same mileage but get more hp with some mods? I was entertaining the idea of intake and head work when its due for a timing belt...however i have heard the 4.4l is no good for modifying

And lastly the Air suspension, can i disable or adjust the sensor so it raises and lowers at different speeds? There has to be a way to bypass this.

Sorry for so many questions from a newbie but i dont have much time to post so i compiled them thanks in advance and if i do end up performing the brake upgrade i will post pictures.

Old 06-04-2010, 06:07 PM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

you cant put sport brakes on without putting the knuckles along with the brakes. They are completely different designs.

Also no mods for air suspension unless you want to break something. Johnson rods are the only thing you can add but it keeps the vehicle in higher heights to driver over 30 mph. Ok in sand but general offroading not useful. basically your offroad speed is under 30 so no need to add the rods.

Old 06-05-2010, 09:07 AM
Drifting

In the interest of fair competition, AND to let people know there is a growing supply of LR3 mods . . . sasquatch (adjustable) and drzjoint (non-adjustable) provide quality products as well (NOT to say one is better then the other, just that there are options) . . . check out https://landroverforums.com/forum/sh...light=drzjoint for some good info . . .
Hopefully we'll see in increase in other parts such as sliders/sill guards, skid plates etc . . . !!

Last edited by davidfkon; 06-05-2010 at 09:17 AM.
Old 06-05-2010, 01:34 PM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

ok before we discuss the quality of their products lets look at the facts.

You want to offroad in regular conditions minus sand dunes.

First off you dont go offroading over 30mph. So that right there eliminates the need for mods.

Secondly, when you modify those rods and keep the vehicle up there it affects the alignment.

Take a look at the tires when in offroad mode. Notice the camber change. That right there will severely affect tire wear if you don't align it. Take them off and they will wear again. You will have to have the vehicle aligned completely if you want to avoid tire wear. When the vehicle looses air from the bags or it drops due to a fault bigger tires will damage stuff. You will be forced to get it towed. Not to mention the stress on those bags for being up all the time will cause them to fail more often.

Listen Rocksliders and protection equipment is good. Winches work great. But buying into the crap on 4X4 extreme is just ludicrious. Most of people have never taken a lesson offroad and don't how to geniunely use their vehicles correctly. We have a team of 200 engineers that do testing on all surfaces, have a score of schools to teach offroad driving and we have had several competitions with stock vehicles with little modifications. We build vehicles that can go anywhere in the world without use of a lift kit. Its safe to say that LR3 is capable of going anywhere it needs to go.

And the reason for the sand dunes is because in desert areas like the mideast traveling fast in sand dunes is normal and not entirely safe but normal culturally.

Old 06-05-2010, 05:39 PM
Drifting

what schools? Please elaborate - I would like to get some training focused on the LR3!

Old 06-07-2010, 08:18 AM
5th Gear
Default wait a second

With the air ride thing, sad to say but i never am going to take this car off road again after the last time i did, its just too clean, it kills me to see it get scraped up.

I want to keep the ride height at access level (the lowest level) at all speeds below 40mph... i could care less about the off road height setting...sorry off road guys but if im going knocking around i will take my ratted out toyota pickup i dont have to worry about scraping trees with...

As for the brakes, I will look into this more and actually start disassembling it to look further into it. This car is strictly an on-road car for me, I have street tires and wheels and am looking for a lower stance, more of a concept car look with large wheel/brake combo and a sports car like power..

Old 06-08-2010, 04:07 PM
Drifting

Ive had shortened height sensor rods for about 25000 miles now. no problems, of course it took me 2 1/2 hours to line up the car and i had to do major camber adjustments at all four corners. I also tow a good amount so maybe im just lucky.

And for ASV4k8 you should just legnthen your height sensor rods, or have some made, then your car will sit lower. i have no idea what kind of problems you might run into but if you really wanna...

Old 06-08-2010, 05:20 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by davidfkon
what schools? Please elaborate - i would like to get some training focused on the lr3!
. . . . .

Old 08-13-2010, 11:30 AM
Overlanding

Little late but here is one the Land Rover Experience and Driving school
http://www.biltmore.com/visit/activities/land_rover.asp

As for Gas mileage, you are driving a Vehicle that weighs in at about 5400-5700 lbs, is in full time 4WD and is a 4.4L V8. did you expect 32 MPG? no 14 sounds about right, i got 14.9 on the way to work this morning with my crappy tires.
About doing mods, good luck with the computer in these.