General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Help with Engine in Romania

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2005, 10:21 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Engine in Romania

Hi all,

I have been asked by a friend in Romania for advice on his landy.

He runs a tour company in Romania (www.roving-romania.co.uk) and is looking to do an engine swap.

Can anyone help with the following question?

The 300Tdi in the green LR was a brand new retro-fit engine in 2002 and has absolutely NO ECM or electronic control. The 300Tdi engine in the 1998 Defender I now own has basic ECM electronic control of injector pump and emissions. The question is can I put the non-ECM engine into the ECM vehicle without having to re-programme the ECM to accept the newer engine? Also can I practically throw out the catalyst (I know I can replace the front pipe/catalyst with a straight-through exhaust pipe as on the green LR) and do away with the emissions valve on the manifold? One question is whether I can legally do this (no problem in Romania) but the important question is whether it will run and what happens to the ECM?

Kind regards
Steve

Old 10-11-2005, 06:02 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Help with Engine in Romania

if your current ECU only runs the fuel system and emissions, and both of those are gone, i supose you wouldnt need it at all anymore. but if it might run a few other things like some of the electronics like wipers and air bags you might have to get it reprogramed or something. i would contact LR or something to see exactly what functions that ECU controls.