General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Help! funny noises.

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 04:31 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! funny noises.

Hey all, thanks for reading.

I just encountered some strange noises in my LR3 (2006 HSE) with 208k miles. It started with what seemed like road noise from my tires. I recently (~5000 miles ago) put some ATKO2's on my rig, but I first noticed the noise shortly after doing some short but moderate off-roading on some steep gravel roads and mud. I would describe this noise as a very low hum that occurs between say 15 - 45 mph.

A few days later, I'm hearing some very rough almost grinding or scraping noises when making sharp turns to the left. It doesn't seem reproduced when turning right.

I can't pinpoint the source of the sound from inside the vehicle with the door open, doing left hand circles. The car drives and sounds fine at highway speeds. When engaged in low, the noises don't change in quality or character. In a very short trial, it seemed that they weren't reproduced when driving in reverse.

I cannot discern whether these noises are related or if the low hum i'm hearing is just road noise from the tires or a gear noise and related to that grinding.

My thoughts are possibly: rack and pinion? My reason to suspect this is that it's been a bit noisy in the past or it could be the power steering pump failing gradually. Not sure

also a dreaded possibility is: transfer case?? I changed all the fluids about 5k ago as well, and perhaps I didn't get the right capacity in, or just screwed something up in the process, or the weight of new oil just precipitated an impending failure. I don't know.

Also, there seems to be a weird gurgling or water noises when I first start the car and drive the first two miles or so. This is just since my little off-roading adventure as well.
fwiw I didn't bottom out, spin donuts, or go through or over any massive articulations that really maxed out the suspension. I was gentle, it's got 208k miles for god sakes, and until this past week, drove like it had 50k.

I really appreciate any help. I know the description is pretty non-specific, so please feel free to ask questions if it might help you help me diagnose the issue.
Best,
Quik

Old 01-05-2019, 02:57 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Busted axle...

Well, thanks for all the help guys .

I found what was wrong... I looked underneath and found that the pass side inside of the rotor was pretty heavily and freshly scored (ground). I figured I had a broken pad, a rock stuck in the pad, or something like that... nope. all was clear when I tore it down to rotor. When putting the wheel back on, I noticed a crazy amount of play in the rotor/axle. So, I'm thinking that I either busted or wore down the CV axle (208k miles?).

My only question remains, should I do both at the same time, or just fix what's broken. I'm leaning toward both, as I know the left front also has 208k miles on it. Anyway, I'm very relieved it's not the diff or transfer case. Geez that would suck more.