General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

I learned a lot about automobiles because I bought a freelander please help

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 05:30 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I learned a lot about automobiles because I bought a freelander please help

I bought a 2002 freelander thinking i got an nice European truck for a good deal.

MY girlfriend was driving it and it lost its coolant over heated and blew the head gasket. Land Rover south point Sarasota told me i needed a new engine.

MY friend thought it was just the head gaskets so i bought them and he installed. He didn't know what he was getting into and he is a good grease monkey. 1 and a half months later the truck is complete and drives like before no smoke, no rough idle, tranny worked fine

Disco Mike says get the rave manual so i did. The whole process has taught me a lot about automobiles.

Took it to a transmission place because it has been sticking in low gear when it is cold in the morning ( 4-f error). shut off and restart and back to normal
error p0732 p0733 i know what they are incorrect gear ratio but how is this addressed or is it from the bad intake and HO2sensor.?

I got the p1472 error code. also found the VIS motor technical bulletin
when i checked VIS motor 2 the the intake flap control arm does not move how it is supposed to.

do i need to replace the whole upper intake manifold or is there another way to fix?

I think if these cars displayed the error code on the dash as soon as they happen and the owner addressed the problem quickly. they would last a lot longer. I don't think that is LR business model

any help appreciated thank you

Old 09-24-2010, 06:06 PM
4wd Low
Default come on

Six people have looked no opinions?

Old 09-25-2010, 12:18 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

The general opinion of Freelanders in the US is pretty negative.
Probably just no one wants to tell you to get rid of it.

Old 09-25-2010, 10:55 AM
4wd Low
Default cool

Thanks for the reply Antichrist. I found out about the bad rep. after i bought the car.
Should have done some research first!

Old 09-25-2010, 02:31 PM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

hopefully the cylinders arent slipping and causing coolant to get into the oil. once you overheat it then its ruined.

plus when you pull the heads lots of time, the heads are so pitted they can't be fixed. Othertimes the cylinder sleeves come out with the heads.

Old 09-26-2010, 10:45 AM
4wd Low
Default I think Its OK

it does run OK other than the ticking from the intake, the bad HO2sensor, and transmission problem.

Other than all that it does start and run how it did previously to its slight over heating event and head gaskets kit installation.

the dude who did the gasket job said the steel cylinders liners are not broken or loose. He is totally unreliable so who knows.

IT does loose coolant at the rate of about a cup a week!

no water in oil changes since gasket job! am I ok? in regards to the Steel Cylinders?

Old 09-26-2010, 10:46 AM
4wd Low
Default no smoke either

no smoke either