General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

intermittent fault - rear wheel gets hot

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 09:29 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default intermittent fault - rear wheel gets hot

Hi Can you help? I have an intermittent problem with my Freelander 2 TD4 (2008 GS model manual) I can be driving along and get a slight vibration (like you would get with wheels that need balanced) and the car feels as if its being held back (very slightly) When this happens and I stop I find that the rear wheel on the drivers side is hot This happened when I visited a friend lately and he said the actual disc was very hot However - on the return drive home all was well I don't understand what the problem is or why the problem comes and goes. As I sometimes tow a livestock trailer I'm concerned about something drastic happening while I'm towing.

Also have a problem with a squeal when driving off in the morning (worse if reversing) I was told this was to do with the parking brake - something about the shoes sticking on

The car has already been in to a dealer and supposedly both problems sorted under warranty. All was well for a while but now both faults have returned.

I will now have to book it back in and want to be able to have some idea of what I'm talking about as they will probably try to say its wear and tear since it was (supposedly) fixed, however, its a problem that was there just after I bought it.

Any potential diagnosis/advice most welcome. Being a girlie I'm anticipating the dealership will try to blind me with science and fob me off

Thanks!

Old 09-24-2011, 10:06 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

You have a brake that is sticking.
Either a parking brake or a standard brake.
If the dealer repair is still under warranty take it back to them.
If not just take it to a brake shop.

Old 09-24-2011, 07:49 PM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

ebrake was incorrectly set at the dealership. their is a procedure and if its done wrong will cause the brake rotor to heat up, seen it on lr2 and LR3. You will need a new rotor on that side and they have to probably install new shoes cause they did it wrong. had someone do it to me once.

Old 09-24-2011, 08:02 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

x2 on the above posts. If you have an infrared thermometer (point and shoot), this would be good to use to measure brake disc temp rather than your hand (Mark 1 Palmreader). Also, it could be used to verify dealer repairs, brake discs on the same axles should be close in temp.

Old 09-25-2011, 04:52 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for taking the time to reply folks have just noticed that the replies are from America I'm in the UK do you know if the term 'ebrake' is universal or is this perhaps called something else in the UK?

thanks again

Old 09-25-2011, 04:58 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

"E-brake" is the emergency brake, also known as the parking brake.