General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Location of Crank Position Sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 04:42 PM
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Location of Crank Position Sensor?

Hi folks. I am hoping that someone out there might know the answer to a few questions:

I have a California-spec 2001 Land Rover, 4.6 SE.

The engine quit running, cranks normally, and the diagnostics point to a bad Crank Angle Sensor.

So I bought a new one (part number ERR 7354).

Where on the engine is this located? I've been told it's on the bellhousing, but I can't see it anywhere, and the covered portions look like they'd be a real pain to access.

On the other hand, I do see a sensor of some sort at the front of the engine, right above the crankshaft pulley. Is that the Crank Position Sensor?

Is there any trick to installing this sensor? Like does the engine crankshaft have to be in any particular position before removing the old one? Or is it a direct bolt-in replacement (keeping in mind issues such as spacers, clearance, etc).

And finally, is there any reprogramming procedure necessary after it's replacement?

thanks for any assistance/suggestions.

Dana

Old 02-22-2008, 04:07 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Location of Crank Position Sensor?

Hi Dana.
The sensor you see just above the crankshaft pulley is the Camshaft sensor and not the Crankshaft sensor.The sensor you are looking for is on the engine block where the engine and bellhousing meets.If you stand in front of the engine,the starter motor will be on the left.In the same position,but on the right ,will be the Crankshaft sensor.It sometimes has a cover with 2 bolts.There is no reprogramming required.
Regards
Marius

Old 02-22-2008, 03:56 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I looked on my rave cd & although your 4.6 crank sensor is a different # than my 4.0 it's in the same location, driver's side below the exhaust manifold, into the bell housing w/2 small bolts.

On your's, the two small bolts hold the heat sheild cover on w/the sensor, mine doesn't use the cover, so my '96 RR 4.0 sensor is quite visible.
On the rave cd, it's listed under engine - from MY (model year) '99
sub directory -- fuel system - repair shows drawings & details

Old 02-22-2008, 05:03 PM
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Marius and Greg, thanks so much for the clear descriptions. It's raining out right now, but when it clears, I'll go take another closer look.

Dana

Old 02-28-2008, 02:16 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dana if you're still looking for this it is exactly where stated on the right side of the engine (if you're looking at it.) There is a black plastic cover held in place by two 10mm bolts, and once that is withdrawn there are two 8mm bolts holding the sensor in place. Disconnecting the sensor is a lot easier to do than connecting it.

Old 02-28-2008, 07:24 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

David knows what he is talking about, his crank sensor failed while driving from the East coast a couple monthes ago, he had to replace his while on the road.