General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

LR4 Tow Assist feature??

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 01:01 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LR4 Tow Assist feature??

I am a happy new owner of a Rimini Red LR4. I've only had it for a week now, and I think I've figured everything out except one feature - Tow Assist.

My LR4 is an HSE PLUS (not LUX PLUS) but does have the 5 camera (CAM) option installed. I don't have a Tow Assist button as shown in the manual. The dealer seems to know absolutely nothing about the feature, and can't tell me if I should have it or not. They claim it doesn't exist in the USA, only UK, etc, even though it's clearly talked about in the manual and 2010 USA brochure.

I plan to use the LR4 to tow a tent trailer, and have already installed an electric brake controller, trailer wiring, and hitch. I thought the wiring harness might enable the feature, but no luck..

Does anyone out there have a LUX PLUS that shows the Tow Assist button on the CAMERA window of the touchscreen?

Thanks,
Dave

Old 06-22-2010, 06:30 AM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

It was eliminated when we had trouble getting cameras but I assumed they would be installed with the program afterwards. The only one I have seen it on is the promotional ones which are early models. If should be active under the camera screen.

Old 06-25-2010, 11:11 AM
Drifting
Talking Tow assist?

Originally Posted by LR4Dave
I am a happy new owner of a Rimini Red LR4. I've only had it for a week now, and I think I've figured everything out except one feature - Tow Assist.

My LR4 is an HSE PLUS (not LUX PLUS) but does have the 5 camera (CAM) option installed. I don't have a Tow Assist button as shown in the manual. The dealer seems to know absolutely nothing about the feature, and can't tell me if I should have it or not. They claim it doesn't exist in the USA, only UK, etc, even though it's clearly talked about in the manual and 2010 USA brochure.

I plan to use the LR4 to tow a tent trailer, and have already installed an electric brake controller, trailer wiring, and hitch. I thought the wiring harness might enable the feature, but no luck..

Does anyone out there have a LUX PLUS that shows the Tow Assist button on the CAMERA window of the touchscreen?

Thanks,
Dave
Dave,

Who installed the trailer wiring? If it was the dealer, they have to reprogram the BCU to recognize the new electrics. It is not a plug and play set up. After that all available trailers have to be set up to the vehicle. It is not difficult, but the system will not function otherwise. ibis1

Old 06-26-2010, 07:22 PM
2nd Gear

ibis1,

I installed the trailer electrics myself.. I wasn't aware that some vehicle "coding" was need, as the lights and trailer brakes seem to work fine. I'll check back with the dealer to see if they can reprogram the "BCU" for me. I assume after that, the Tow Assist buttons will appear on the touchsreen.

Thanks for updating me!!
Dave.

Old 06-27-2010, 08:39 AM
Drifting
Talking Trailer electrics

Originally Posted by LR4Dave
ibis1,

I installed the trailer electrics myself.. I wasn't aware that some vehicle "coding" was need, as the lights and trailer brakes seem to work fine. I'll check back with the dealer to see if they can reprogram the "BCU" for me. I assume after that, the Tow Assist buttons will appear on the touchsreen.

Thanks for updating me!!
Dave.
Dave,
I am assuming you are using the Land Rover electrics. On the last page of the install manual it shows connecting the vehicle to an IDS. It would be nice if the install manuals had words and not just pictures, that's why you probably missed it. ibis1