General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Need a little second opinions

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 12:50 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a little second opinions

Yeah I know "I'm ugly too!"

have an oil leak rear of engine, comes down around where the cross brace is. valve covers are new, and I don't think its the head gasket (no indications of oil water mix, smoke, steam, etc.)
I also notice my coolant going down very slowly, and accasionally see it around the dame location on the ground, but not always. I'm wondering if a bad valley pan gasket could be the culprit. possible? other ideas?

I also notice alot of what I call road wander. nothing loose in the steering linkage, a very tiny movement indicating either wheel bearings or swivel pins on top of the wheel 12 o'clock, when they are off the ground. No play anywhere sitting, but driving, it wants to "follow" road contours, drift a little with wind, etc. I drorve short wheelbase with wranglers for years, so I'm suspecting shocks/bushings, and/or steering damper, possibly bad worm gear. I know this aint rack an pinion, but how much of this is normal?

Old 09-29-2010, 01:19 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

quit guessing. get everything cleaned up and wiped down and then pressure tested to see where the leak is. as for the steering issue jack up the truck and see if there is any play in the tire top to bottom or left to right.

Old 09-30-2010, 11:50 AM
Overlanding
Default thanks Ed

Did the cleanup, no close location to do the pressure test. May have to take some leave to get that done.

Like I said, wheels up, only a small amount of play at 12 o'clock on both wheels, less than 1/4 inch in and out, wheel bearing inspect and repack this weekend.

Old 09-30-2010, 02:43 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To me that"s a lot of play. I cannot move mine at all. Got to get rid of that play.

Old 10-01-2010, 03:43 AM
Overlanding
Default agree

Yup, I don't think any "slop" is ok, repacking the wheel bearings will tell me most of what I need to know on this point I think.

It's a little strange trying to do some of the basic here in Germany. My conversational German is ok, but for tech stuff, part names etc. it's almost funny when I'm in ATU (kinda like Advance in the states) trying to check on prices and the guy is lookin at me like I just told him he's got a booger in his nose.