General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

No brake lights, diff cld warning

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2016, 11:15 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default No brake lights, diff cld warning

So I left california a week ago, and I've finally made it to Tennessee. I've only got 17 more hours to go before I reach my new home! the morning we left, I plugged up my trailer to my 01 disco se7 and away we went. It was about 4:30 am and we were traveling down the I-5, I tapped the brakes and saw my diff light come on. I radioed back to my partner and asked if my brakes were on and she said no. We stopped to refuel and I couldn't get it into drive again, and panic ensued. I remembered there was a neutral safety bypass and I popped up the shifter and got it into drive, which I've been doing for about a week. We got to Arkansas a few days later and i replaced the brake light fuse and voila brake lights work, it shifts out of park, and I'm happy as a clam. Well, I drove it a few miles down to refuel again, and the fuse blows! Whats happening? Should I buy a new brake light switch? Should I change out all the bulbs? I tied my trailer harness into the stock harness under the pass tail light. The fuse blows even when the harnesses taken out of the equation. Where should I start looking?

Old 03-15-2016, 08:24 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 99 Likes on 72 Posts

I had a similar problem, except my brake fuse would only blow when I engaged the diff-lock and as soon as I hit the brakes. I took the shift solenoid out so it wouldn't lock me out again, and kept spare fuses in the truck. I also replaced the brake switch and all rear bulbs with no change. Then it just kind of went away, it hasn't happened in a while, and I never figured out what it was.. So, if anyone has any suggestions, I would also appreciate it.

Old 03-16-2016, 08:09 AM
Three Wheeling

Ive used the search function here and looked at the other posts. Thats how I figured out where the brake fuse was, and also the stock trailer plug-in. The other posts I've found, i exhausted their replys (replies) and other than just continuing to replace that fuse, what else should I do? Check a relay ?

Old 03-16-2016, 08:34 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 99 Likes on 72 Posts

Oh yeah, I also got an auto-reset circuit breaker to put in place of the fuse, so if it ever happens again, I don't have to keep replacing the fuse. ..obviously not a permanent fix, but should get you out of a jam until you figure it out..

Attached Thumbnails No brake lights, diff cld warning-51sf3yhxlul._ac_ul320_sr238-320_.jpg  
Old 03-22-2016, 01:19 PM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Check the ground wire going from the driver side tail light harness (through the body) to the chassis ground behind the plastic panel in the cargo area.

Old 04-06-2016, 10:49 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by sleepercoupe
Check the ground wire going from the driver side tail light harness (through the body) to the chassis ground behind the plastic panel in the cargo area.
Alright! So the past few weeks I've been using my rear foglights as temp brake lights just to scoot around town. I took the driver side rear taillight out and saw some wires spliced into the stock harness, I traced them to a UHaul trailer harness that didn't work. I cut that out, replaced the fuse, and wouldn't you know it, my brake lights work! Un believable! I'm happier than a Democrat on election day!

Old 04-06-2016, 12:17 PM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Congrats! Glad I was able to sort of help.