General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

please help

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 01:53 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default please help

I have an 02 D2 SE with 163,000 miles, it's my daily driver. Just recently it threw a p0150 code. I bought some "el cheapo" set of 4 o2's and they set 4 new codes,needless to say I returned them and got 1 Bosch o2. The original code remains. I used a more advanced code reader and took photos of the o2 monitor, my problem is that I see that there is a problem,I don't know how to interpret the data lol. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-21-2018, 06:48 AM
TReK
Received 417 Likes on 349 Posts

Well...
first let's figure out what we are looking at. O2B1S1 ..... "O2BxSy"

"O2" simply means O2 sensor

"Bx" B1=drivers side (bank 1) B2=passenger side (bank 2)

Sy - indicates if it is the upstream (pre- catalytic converter) sensor or downstream. S1=upstream S2=downstream (post-cat)

Your passenger side (bank 2) sensors are not reading. Could be a wiring issue (lack of connection) or could be dead sensors. I'd guess wiring to start.

Trace the wire from the upstream sensor on the passenger side back to ECU. You will go through at least one connections. (wiring diagram can be found in the link in my signature) Hopefully the break in the connection is obvious.

If that looks ok then I'd be checking grounds.

Old 03-22-2018, 12:33 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

P0150 O2 sensor circuit malfunction (bank 2, sensor 1) Front sensor RH bank stoichiometric ratio outside
operating band
The HO2S voltage is difficult to measure using a multimeter, the output can be monitored using TestBook. A rich
mixture would read 500 to 1000 mV, a weak mixture would read 100 mV to 500 mV, the reading should switch from
rich to weak. The open loop default voltage is 450 mV, this is used by the ECM to set the air/ fuel ratio until the tip of
the HO2S reaches operating temperature.
The HO2S can fail the following ways or supply incorrect signal:
l Sensor open circuit.
l Short circuit to vehicle supply.
l Short circuit to vehicle earth.
l Sensor disconnected.
l Stoichiometric ratio outside the correct operating band.
l Contamination from leaded fuel.
l Air leak into the exhaust system.
l Wiring loom damage.
l Sensors fitted incorrectly or cross wired.
From the D2 manual for the original code indicating it may be isolated to #1 sensor. Is the code setting the engine light? It's not one we see a lot. There are a couple of pages in the manual you may like to read in the manual.

WaltNYC's advice on sensor or wiring spot on.

Old 03-22-2018, 06:58 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by number9
From the D2 manual for the original code indicating it may be isolated to #1 sensor. Is the code setting the engine light? It's not one we see a lot. There are a couple of pages in the manual you may like to read in the manual.

WaltNYC's advice on sensor or wiring spot on.
yes the cel light is on, I forgot to mention that I recently put the newer rubberized valve gaskets on. The old ones were cracked and leaking. I had ordered a new intake gasket but it came unusable, thanks to the jerk who just stuffed it in a envelope with no cardboard backing, so I reused the old one. I'm wondering if that old gasket is causing my issue? Any thoughts?

Old 04-11-2018, 11:33 AM
Drifting

Update on my original post:

after checking the wires,took apart the connectors and thoroughly cleaned them. The code p0150 kept coming back, so I disconnected the battery for 5 minutes and then touched the pos and neg cables together via a 10 inch length of wire for a minute. That p0150 code has not come back. Although now the code I've had for sometime has come back,it's the mysterious p0442.

just wanted to let you guys know I resolved the o2 sensor issue, and say thanks for your input!