General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Please help my car stalled and npw stalls on me while driving or just sitting at idle

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2016, 08:37 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help my car stalled and now stalls on me while driving or just sitting at idle

2001 land rover discovery 156k miles
Car stalled on me while coming to a stop
Battery and alternator are good
Car will start randomly and run for a while but then stall again without warning
Turns over but won't start but sometimes it will start on first turn
All fluids are at the right level

Things I've heard it could be include:
Fuel pump (but why does it run sometimes)
Fuel pressure regulator
Crankshaft position sensor
O2 sensors? Is that a possible cause of a stall?

I want to start buying parts to install them asap. Any help on where I should start would be great

Also if its a fuel problem where could I connect a tester

Last edited by filthydisco01; 10-17-2016 at 09:12 PM.
Old 10-17-2016, 07:58 AM
TReK
Received 417 Likes on 349 Posts

clean the IACV first. Carbon and burnt oil builds up and the valve 'seals' itself shut. A can of throttle body cleaner may be all you need.

after that, yeah, you are on the right track. do the cheap stuff first. Fuel filter would top my list. Then move to the fuel pump. Plenty of threads on trouble shooting that item.

The following users liked this post:
disco-disco (10-31-2016)
Old 10-18-2016, 08:08 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by WaltNYC
clean the IACV first. Carbon and burnt oil builds up and the valve 'seals' itself shut. A can of throttle body cleaner may be all you need.

after that, yeah, you are on the right track. do the cheap stuff first. Fuel filter would top my list. Then move to the fuel pump. Plenty of threads on trouble shooting that item.
I removed the IACV and sprayed it down with cleaner it was pretty black inside but I sprayed off/out and wiped out as much as I could. Issue is ongoing.
I just bought a CPS just waiting for it to come in
Next part will be the fuel pressure regulator which I can't seem to find where it goes if someone could help me with that thank you.
Also as far as the fuel filter goes where can I find that because I've been reading that it is built into the pump assembly as a sock. I have not found an external one.
And if my car stays on for a while accelerates fine for about 10-15 minutes then dies and won't start again can that be the pump or should my car not start at all if its the pump?

Old 10-18-2016, 10:08 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

the D2 doesnt have an external / inline fuel filter....only the one in the tank(pump)
get a fuel pressure gauge and check or try to monitor the pressure at the fuel rail...it should be in the 30-35 psi range....yes the pump can operate sporadically if it's just starting to fail..
usually the crank position sensor fails as it gets warm and you lose spark.....will work again as it cools off

Old 10-19-2016, 07:40 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by XCELLER8
the D2 doesnt have an external / inline fuel filter....only the one in the tank(pump)
get a fuel pressure gauge and check or try to monitor the pressure at the fuel rail...it should be in the 30-35 psi range....yes the pump can operate sporadically if it's just starting to fail..
usually the crank position sensor fails as it gets warm and you lose spark.....will work again as it cools off
Ok thanks because the auto parts store was telling me there was and even had the part in stock.
What side of the engine is the fuel rail on where I can connect the gauge? because I read that you have to remove something and its a pain but what has to be done has to be done.
Hopefully its not my pump because that's the pricier of fixes. Can anyone help for where the ground is for the pump? Maybe I have a loose ground.
Yeah sounds about right but I've changed it once be fore about a year or two ago over a different issue
Going to clean out the throttle body tomorrow morning and put some gas along with injector cleaner see if any changes
Thanks everyone

Old 10-20-2016, 08:44 PM
Overlanding

I forgot to mention that after the incident I checked my dipstick and it was low on oil
I filled it up and same thing keeps happening stalls after it gets warm.
Could any of the oil sensors have anything to do with this issue??

Old 10-20-2016, 10:45 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by filthydisco01
I forgot to mention that after the incident I checked my dipstick and it was low on oil
I filled it up and same thing keeps happening stalls after it gets warm.
Could any of the oil sensors have anything to do with this issue??
no..........

Old 10-26-2016, 09:11 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by filthydisco01
2001 land rover discovery 156k miles
Car stalled on me while coming to a stop
Battery and alternator are good
Car will start randomly and run for a while but then stall again without warning
Turns over but won't start but sometimes it will start on first turn
All fluids are at the right level

Things I've heard it could be include:
Fuel pump (but why does it run sometimes)
Fuel pressure regulator
Crankshaft position sensor
O2 sensors? Is that a possible cause of a stall?

I want to start buying parts to install them asap. Any help on where I should start would be great

Also if its a fuel problem where could I connect a tester
so for got it running it was the cps thanks for everything