General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Power Steering - High Pressure Hose Leak HELP! (thanks)

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 12:38 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Power Steering - High Pressure Hose Leak HELP! (thanks)

Hello all - and as always, thank you in advance.

Last weekend, I successfully replaced my power steering pump (edit: on my 2001 LR Disco II SE7) only to find out that there was a spewing leak coming from around the high pressure return hose atop the steering box. (You know, where the bracket holds the hose onto the steering box?)

I tried several new o-rings, tried to bend the bracket flat (even somewhat concave) as to put ample pressure onto the hose and keep it sealed well.

After a good 4-5 hours, and 12-15 tries at this, I gave up and have been filling the reservoir every 20 miles or so.

Any suggestions???

Several other issues I'll attempt to research prior to posting for help. But I want to start here as it's the most important! THANKS!

Last edited by jeffklynch@gmail.com; 01-06-2016 at 12:44 PM.
Old 03-21-2016, 07:21 PM
Drifting

Did you every figure out anything? I have the same problem, and it just got worse. I've tried replacing the o rings several times, but nothing is working. I'm thinking of buying a new pressure line, but they're super expensive. I'm hoping someone has a trick to make the original line work.

Thought about cutting a notch in two copper washers the size of the lines then putting another washer, same thickness, over the bolt hole, then securing the bracket on top of all three washers.

Old 03-21-2016, 09:22 PM
6th Gear

I ended up trying a bunch of various sizes of o-rings before ultimately replacing the entire hose. It was a JOB, but hasn't leaked a drop since.

My problem was that the bracket that held the hose to the high pressure return was bent, and I simply couldn't get it flat again.

It was a 2 hour job, part was less than $100, plus fluid.

Good luck!

Originally Posted by discorey
Did you every figure out anything? I have the same problem, and it just got worse. I've tried replacing the o rings several times, but nothing is working. I'm thinking of buying a new pressure line, but they're super expensive. I'm hoping someone has a trick to make the original line work.

Thought about cutting a notch in two copper washers the size of the lines then putting another washer, same thickness, over the bolt hole, then securing the bracket on top of all three washers.

Old 03-22-2016, 01:12 PM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I can only assume you were using standard NA spec o rings, they are metric and very sensitive because it is a higher pressured hydraulic system. Check in the rave the exact size of the o ring., Even the slightest difference will make that spot leak. The bracket that holds it down can easily be re-bent.

Old 03-22-2016, 05:21 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by jeffklynch@gmail.com
I ended up trying a bunch of various sizes of o-rings before ultimately replacing the entire hose. It was a JOB, but hasn't leaked a drop since.

My problem was that the bracket that held the hose to the high pressure return was bent, and I simply couldn't get it flat again.

It was a 2 hour job, part was less than $100, plus fluid.

Good luck!

Thanks for the update. I went ahead and ordered the new line. Been dealing with this leak for too long.

Old 03-22-2016, 05:27 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by sleepercoupe
I can only assume you were using standard NA spec o rings, they are metric and very sensitive because it is a higher pressured hydraulic system. Check in the rave the exact size of the o ring., Even the slightest difference will make that spot leak. The bracket that holds it down can easily be re-bent.

After ordering this o ring kit, I managed to get the leak to decrease, but it still leaked. I tried flattening the bracket. I put copper washers on each of the lines and the bolt. Nothing is working to completely seal the leak. So, I opted to pay $87 for a new pressure line. Hope this does it. Don't want to buy another PS pump.

Old 03-22-2016, 05:32 PM
Drifting

I really wish there was a workaround or modified aftermarket line to alleviate this problem. Even with a new line, I foresee the same thing needing to be done again in the future. I may take my soon-to-be spare line to a hydraulic shop to see if they can make something similar that has some flex to it.

Old 03-22-2016, 06:20 PM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Cool, also make sure you lube the new o rings in fluid before and wipe the bore on the box down before install. Also use redline fluid as it's always been my go to. If the is still trouble there could potentially be an over pressurizing problem internal to the new pump high pressure relief spring but that is unlikely. They tend to get a split when you install if you are not careful. As in make sure they fully seat in flush and then tighten the hold down.

Last edited by sleepercoupe; 03-22-2016 at 06:22 PM. Reason: Grammer