General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

R380 Symptoms and issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 02:10 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
Default R380 Symptoms and issues

So my transmission is having some funky issues, wondering if you guys could help me diagnose...

A bit of background, I am the 9th owner of this 94 Disco with 157K miles on it. Apparently the clutch was recently replaced in it. I don't have the receipts to prove this though. Almost done doing the 60K maintenance, all I have left are the plugs, wires and distributor cap. When I removed the transmission case drain plug I did find quite a bit of shavings on the magnet probably from the first symptom below.

The symptoms: First symptom the truck is showing is going into first gear there is sometimes a distinct grinding noise and I have to put it back into neutral and try again. On the second try it goes in with no problems. (synchros?) The noise and feel I experience when this happens is similar to pushing the shifter into first without having the clutch in at all :/

Second symptom - When in a slow roll, let's say through a stop sign... I will put it in second and while letting the clutch out there is sometimes a creaking noise until the clutch is fully out. I can now hear the sound happen in first also. I stopped skipping second after hearing this noise a few times though.

Third symptom - most recently the gear will pop out of first if I feather the clutch to long while waiting to go at a stop light or trying to maneuver a parking spot. No problems in any other gears and shifting was loud and clunky when I first got the car but has progressively become better after changing out the transfer case, transmission, and both dif fluids. All in all the car is happy but the transmission sounds like a ticking time bomb. Any ideas guys? Any advice or suggestions would help a lot! Thank you in advance!

I can provide pics and videos if you guys think this will help diagnose.

Just took an aderol so I can stay up and study for the last final of my college career and of course I'm on LRF.com.
Me in 10 hours...

Old 12-16-2010, 07:56 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

You should be using something like Redline MTL in the R380, not ATF if you are.
Yes, sounds like the baulk rings (syncros) are worn.
Clutches should not be feathered if at all possible. Don't ride the clutch.

Not sure about the creaking noise. I've had a squealing in the past when the release bearing carrier started spinning on it's shaft.

If the baulk rings have been worn for a long time and there's been a lot of gear tooth wear that could cause it to slip out of gear. Or it could be out of adjustment.

Old 12-16-2010, 08:48 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by antichrist
You should be using something like Redline MTL in the R380, not ATF if you are.
Yes, sounds like the baulk rings (syncros) are worn.
Clutches should not be feathered if at all possible. Don't ride the clutch.

Not sure about the creaking noise. I've had a squealing in the past when the release bearing carrier started spinning on it's shaft.

If the baulk rings have been worn for a long time and there's been a lot of gear tooth wear that could cause it to slip out of gear. Or it could be out of adjustment.
I couldn't find the Redline MTL in Advanced Auto so I put the DexIII into it with half a quart of Amzoil Synchroshift. I will try to find the Redline and put that in instead. But it sounds like you're right about the syncros. Are they replaceable or would I have to get an entire new gearbox?
Noise is more of a squealing though now that I think of it, how did you end up repairing the release bearing?

Old 12-16-2010, 10:14 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Ashcroft sells the parts.
Try a race shop for the Redline.

Old 12-26-2010, 06:56 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Replace the gearbox.

Old 12-27-2010, 09:47 PM
Rock Crawling

I would replace it if I had an extra $1500 or so sitting somewhere...
I kinda wish I had gotten an automatic at this point

Old 12-27-2010, 10:00 PM
Rock Crawling

On that note, would it make sense to convert to an automatic? Or is it too much work?