General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Radio Stopped Working

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 07:04 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio Stopped Working

2004 Disco II SE
Stock Alpine XQD000340PUY Head Unit

Went away for 2 weeks. Came back, started her up, and radio wont turn on. Everything else seems work fine (wipers, seats, etc). Just nothing on the radio. No lights. No sound. Nothing.

First i checked the fuses. The main one under the steering wheel, all fine there. Then i popped the radio out and checked the fuse on the unit itself. No problem there. So i started checking for power from the harness. I hooked a circuit tester to each pin on each of the 3 clips on the harness (the multi-color one, the grey one, and the orange-ish one). I found hot on the #4 and #7 pin on the grey clip. No power anywhere else.

Anyone have any ideas what my problem is? I understand that it may either be a dead head unit, or a dead amp. How do i know which is my problem? I figure its the H/U, since i found hot going in. But what do i know?

Side note - i called LR to price out a new H/U. $1,200!!! What?!? For a cassette player? I found one on ebay for like $75. So at least i can go that route if i find its just a dead unit, not the amp. But then theres the issue of getting the radio to be recognized by the ecu? anyone know anything about that?

please chime in if you have any info that might help me out. thanks!

Old 01-07-2012, 08:08 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Enjoy these sheets from the electrical manual that is part of the RAVE shop manuals collection, free download of the whole thing below. There are also fuses under the hood involved.

I know the BCU needs to be recognized by the ECU. The RAVE says the ECU does this:

The ECM also interfaces with the following:
l
Diagnostics via diagnostic connector with TestBook.

l
Controller Area Network (CAN) link to EAT ECU.

l
Air conditioning system.

l
Self Levelling & Anti-lock Braking System (SLABS) ECU.

l
Immobilisation system via the body control unit (BCU).

l
Instrument cluster.

l
Cruise control ECU

l Active Cornering Enhancement (ACE) ECU

So I don't know about the radio to ECU interface.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
d2 radio.pdf (1.72 MB, 1670 views)
Old 01-08-2012, 12:44 PM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

replace the fuse on the back of the radio. I have seen issues with the thing getting overheated at time and killing the fuse. If its not blown change it anyway. double check to make sure its the correct fuse as well. seen one with a larger fuse that would stop working on occasion.

Old 01-08-2012, 03:40 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

If you buy a used stereo all you need is the security code and it will plug in and work in your truck.
You may need the security code for your stereo since it has lost all power.

Old 01-08-2012, 05:58 PM
Overlanding

(OP)

Savannah:

Thanks for the info. That rave manual is sooo awesome (i wish i could get one for my jeep!). Looks like im getting power everywhere i should be.

Rovin4Life:

replace a non-blown fuse. sounds silly, but ill try anything at this point! ill let you know if it works.

Spike555:

How can i get my security code? And how can i then program the new radio if i need to? Can i keep the dealer out of it?

Old 01-08-2012, 06:09 PM
Team Owner

Your security code will be in the owners manual or the stereo manual.
If you do not have it the stereo will say "CODE" on the display and you cannot use the stereo.
It is a anti-theft thing.
If you do not have the code the dealer can get it for you but you will need to bring them the truck and proof of ownership, like your registration.
EDIT:If you install a different LR stereo in your truck but you do not have the security code the dealer can still get your the code but they will need the serial number off of the back of the replacement unit.

Old 01-08-2012, 07:28 PM
Overlanding

(OP)

first off, tried replacing the fuse on the unit. didnt help.

Originally Posted by Spike555
Your security code will be in the owners manual or the stereo manual.
If you do not have it the stereo will say "CODE" on the display and you cannot use the stereo.
It is a anti-theft thing.
If you do not have the code the dealer can get it for you but you will need to bring them the truck and proof of ownership, like your registration.
EDIT:If you install a different LR stereo in your truck but you do not have the security code the dealer can still get your the code but they will need the serial number off of the back of the replacement unit.
OK i found my "radio code" written on my radio manual. It is a 4 digit number. Does that sound right? And is this the only code i need? I mean, is this the code i need to install any radio in the truck? or is this the code i would need to install this unit in another vehicle? Im also wondering how to put in the code? My code has a 9 in it ... theres no 9 button on the radio ??

Last edited by jeepguywithadisco; 01-09-2012 at 02:46 PM.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:05 PM
Team Owner

Yes that is the code you need, it ONLY works with YOUR stereo, no matter the truck it is in.
The book will tell you how to enter it.

Old 01-09-2012, 02:45 PM
Overlanding

(OP)

Thanks for all the replies, everyone! Problem solved. I found a LR-specific mechanic around my job that i stopped in before work today. Told him about my issue, and he said he would pull a radio out of another disco he has, and we can test it out. Went back there just now, and plugged in his test unit. That works, no code or anything needed. Asked him if he would sell it? $100? Deal!