General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Random sudden full throttle, Freelander 1, 2001

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 09:15 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Random sudden full throttle, Freelander 1, 2001

I have a serious technical problem with my Freelander 1, 2001, 1.8L, manual.

From time to time the engine just floors it by itself, literally, as if the acceleration pedal was fully pressed. Fortunately there hasn't been any accidents, for some reason it loses power so it doesn't accelerate too much.

It happens randomly, but mostly at high speeds outside of cities. I feel that the car continues to accelerate even when I'm not touching the gas pedal.

The way I've been dealing with it is I unclutch (manual transimission), roll by the side of the road, brake and turn off the engine (which does 6-7000rpm by that time). After about a minute of rest it continues normally, but if started right away it goes nuts again.

I never floor it myself and I checked the throttle in the engine to see if it was stuck, nothing, looks as functional as ever. I'm thinking of an electrical problem, but right now I'm afraid of using it on longer trips.

It's -10°C (14F) and lower where I am, if it helps.

I'm aware that this kind of technical problem can mean some trouble for Land Rover (who builds a car with even a possibility of this happening), cars flooring it by themselves isn't a good thing IMO.

Has anybody had the same problem and knows what it could be, how to fix it? Sensors, shorts...

Old 01-02-2010, 01:25 PM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

If I remember the on the 1.8 they have a ACC, a sensor on the pedal and then it sends a signal to the throttle via wires. basically a fly by wire signal.

heres an idea. if it does it while cold then stick parts in the freezer to similate in a garage. if it warms up and then shuts down then pour cold water on the part to cool it down after going WOT.

Its also possible you are getting carbon buildup in the throttle housing. try cleaning out the housing with a bit carbon clean. That is known to cause throttles to stick on alot of vehicles.