General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Research Engine (Lion V6)

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 03:29 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Research Engine (Lion V6)

I am a student doing graduate research in combustion. I have a Lion V6 2.7 L diesel engine from a Discovery 3. It is a European model, which makes it difficult for me to find information on it in the United States. I am trying to get it to fire on a dynamometer, and so far I cannot get it to inject.

The ECU has three big connectors. Two of them go to the engine itself, and all of those are connected. The last one goes to the rest of the vehicle, and here is where I believe the trouble lies. Since I don’t have the rest of the vehicle, I need to simulate these signals. I have attached the key on signal, ECU power (3 pins), ECU ground (5 pins), keep alive memory, accelerator pedal signal (2 pins), and MAF sensor. I have two relays as shown in my wiring diagram. There are also two CAN wires which should connect to a transfer box control module. I do not have such a module or any information on how to simulate it.

When I turn on the key on signal, the turbocharger waste gate oscillates. When I flip the key on signal off, the EGR pumps actuate.

What are some possible causes for the injectors not firing? Are there any tests I can do to determine where the problem lies? Are the CAN lines important, and if so, what signal should they receive?

Thank you.
Jon