General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Rough idle won't rev

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 10:42 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rough idle won't rev

So I had a disco awhile ago and loved it, ended up having some problems and needed a vehicle right away so just ended up selling it and kinda regret it, so couple years later started looking at some again, ended up finding one (haven't purchased yet) but it was idling rough and stalling and wouldn't rev so the owner I guess changed out a few parts and sold it still had that issue. Another person had bought it and swapped engines and exact same issue still. They ended up buying a new or used ecu and haven't put it in yet I seen they have to be programmed also seen could be some things like the crank speed sensor I'm not sure if the inertia switch will allow it to run at all, he hasn't mentioned any of the codes that popped up. So am I getting myself into a headache? Or should I look else where for another one, the price is pretty good on it and has a spare engine

Old 08-29-2016, 12:00 AM
Drifting
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Check CAT

Run it by a muffler shop... They'll cut a hole in the cat and check it out... and if it's ok... they seal it back up and send you on your way to another diagnosis. That's what 3 Star does in Little Rock. I know more about GM minivans than rovers... but usually costs less than 150 for a new cat on a Venture. Hope this helps.

Clay

Old 09-07-2016, 02:09 PM
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My 98' disco behaved very similar, It turned out to be a tps sensor (throttle positioning sensor). I replaced it and then had my buddy with a land rover scanner re learn the tps sensor to ecu. I would start with ohming the tps sensor, then remove o2 sensors (one at a time) and test pressure pre and post cat. good luck