General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Service records

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2020, 08:33 PM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Service records

Hello all,
I live in the USA and have been looking for a way to find the service records for my recently purchased 2010 LR4. I have been told by a couple of LR dealerships that they do not have access to any records for my vehicle. I did find out where it was originally purchased and serviced and I was able to speak to someone in the service department. They told me that they had records for the vehicle but couldn't give them to me due to the fact that LR mingles the owner's personal information in with these records and they cannot be separated.
Is this correct? Do I have no way of gaining access to these records?
I don't want to start preventatively replacing parts that were put on the truck 10k miles ago.
Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-27-2020, 05:12 PM
TReK
Received 652 Likes on 559 Posts

Not giving Service Records with Personal Info (and the INVOICE will show that) is standard practice for almost ALL Dealers.
They just don't want the liability/headache on more than a few levels.

Just a simple example; I can remember when I worked at a Porsche Dealer and the service records were given to a new buyer of a preowned 911.
Well that jacka$$ decided to call the previous owner to get more info.

The guy ( who was a customer for over 10 years) understandably went nuts on The Dealership.
This all ended in the Service Manager getting fired and ZERO future sales from a very good but PI$$ED OFF customer.

Old 01-28-2020, 10:54 AM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I understand that completely and I wouldn't expect anyone to give me any personal information about a vehicle's previous owner, but what I'm trying to find out is whether or not there is a database of service performed on the vehicle itself. I couldn't care less about who owned the vehicle. I don't think I'd even want to know who owned it.
This seems like a terrible idea for any company to co-mingle owner specific information with statistics about a machine that they owned. Most vehicles are owned by several people/parties prior to being junked so it seems like a bit of a non-starter idea to keep these records together.
Does anyone know if there is a way to obtain the vehicle records without having PO info muddying up the waters?

Last edited by ChadWhite; 01-30-2020 at 07:00 AM.