General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Some general help required please!

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 11:13 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some general help required please!

Hi all, great forum, had a delve around and got some good pointers for some of the stuff I want to check out and gonna sort out my discoloured fenders too !
Anyway, being new to LR's and had the D2 now for about 3 weeks I want to try and get to grips with a couple ****les...its a 4.0 V8 gas with auto box, 73k miles and dealer serviced throughout but seeing as I live in a place where they are the only LR dealer with no competition and I've already found a loose oil filter and sump plug as a good source of my driveway stains....

so here goes:
1) brakes, lot of pedal travel on initial start up then firms up but seems do do the same thing after not touching the pedal for a while - normal ? or I would suspect a vacuum leak somewhere, one way valve on the master cylinder?

2) I have a broken joint where one of the flexible hoses from the IAC joins the airbox pipe - its been blobbed up in the past for some time it would appear - not sure if it's 100% sealing though - what issues would this give me?

3) the most annoying one is a hesitation at around 35-40 mph - kind of like a misfire and it's not always there but more often than not. For example it seemed to get worse the other day when the car ran like that from startup then cleared and ran like a scalded cat after about 3 miles. I cleaned the MAF and throttle body, car still ran like a champ then suddenly just went all hesistant again across the rev range. Now its fine again but still hesitant at 35-40? Any ideas. Checked leads are on good, plugs look OK (Champion RC10PYPB4 are what's in it - should they be the 11's?) I want to go with a sensor issue given the apparent intermittent issue, that or basic ignition system at any rate though happy to go deeper if I have to

Cheers all
Paul

Old 03-12-2013, 11:30 AM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

the broken hose will cause issues with the maf. its taking in more air after the maf and it will cause issues.

Old 03-12-2013, 04:20 PM
4wd Low

Thanks Rovin4life, sounds pretty obvious really, I'll work on getting that fixed/replaced asap and go on from there

Old 03-14-2013, 09:59 PM
4wd Low

Anyone else got any ideas,...shameless bump !

Old 03-15-2013, 01:03 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Like he said, un-metered air will cause all kinds of strange things. You may also want to look at cleaning the throttle body butter fly with carb cleaner, and the IACV with same. The MAF can be cleaned, when stone cold, with made-for-MAF cleaner. Don't put key in ignition before you do this, or the sensor warms up to 350F inside and the cold spray can damage it. Don't even back it out of the garage.