General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Steering -Steering Pump and Front End

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2015, 11:59 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Genuine are only $36 and change from Trevor, vs $41 and change at NAPA.

Old 06-28-2015, 03:36 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 111 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Ursula
I think I am just going to order a set of Ball Joints, since I will be putting on new tires and front end next week might as well put on some new ball joints.

I was just wondering if anyone had a recombination of which ones I should get?

If I get them from Atlantic British it will be about $111.00 or I found a set of 4 that come with locking nuts for $84.00

FTC 3571 / FTC 3570 | FTC3571 / FTC3570 | - | Land Rover Range Rover Front Set of 2 Upper Set of 2 Lower Ball Joint Kit | New-Part.com

thoughts?

and thank you!

That's a damn good price. I paid almost $80 for just 2. BTW these ball-joints fixed my steering wobble. major difference in drive-ability. Just make sure whether or not you need to replace yours. This isn't a repair that you want to make just for the heck of it.

Old 06-28-2015, 03:54 PM
Baja

Originally Posted by chubbs878
That's a damn good price. I paid almost $80 for just 2.
And even better price from Trevor for aftermarket. A little over $70 for all 4.
Trevor is always upfront on the quality and make also, if you ask him. He'll tell you the make of them and if they are worth going cheaper or if you should stick with the genuine.

Old 06-28-2015, 11:59 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by antichrist
And even better price from Trevor for aftermarket. A little over $70 for all 4.
Trevor is always upfront on the quality and make also, if you ask him. He'll tell you the make of them and if they are worth going cheaper or if you should stick with the genuine.
My kind of guy! I may have to get this dudes info on my next repair

Old 06-30-2015, 10:08 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finally got my parts from Atlantic British. Woot! There is a huge difference in packing and presentation this time around.

First, I noticed the Terrafirma logo on the drag link. I don't care about the logo but its interesting how the first set did not have it.

Second, the tie rod ends all have a nice plastic cover protecting the rubber. The locking nuts also look much bigger and stronger.

And the last thing I noticed was the steering damper braked is already installed and ready to go.

Happy its all there, I'm thinking the first set was a returned set and they just shipped it to me... why... I don't know....

I should be getting to it this week!

Whats the best way to check if those ball joints need to be replaced?

Old 06-30-2015, 10:14 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

that is different, mine did not have there logo and the stabilizer bracket was not installed. may be a running change

Old 06-30-2015, 12:19 PM
Pro Wrench

Finally got my parts from Atlantic British. Woot! There is a huge difference in packing and presentation this time around.

First, I noticed the Terrafirma logo on the drag link. I don't care about the logo but its interesting how the first set did not have it.

Second, the tie rod ends all have a nice plastic cover protecting the rubber. The locking nuts also look much bigger and stronger.

And the last thing I noticed was the steering damper braked is already installed and ready to go.

Happy its all there, I'm thinking the first set was a returned set and they just shipped it to me... why... I don't know....

I should be getting to it this week!

Whats the best way to check if those ball joints need to be replaced?

on the tie-rods are you sure that plastic cover isn't just for protection during shipment? that grease boot is a cover of the joint itself. post a picture. for ball-joints the first thing you can do is get on the ground and look at the rubber cover/boot on the lower ball-joint under the bottom of the spindle and look if its cracked, deteriorated, destroyed in any way. you probably have to pull the wheel and rotor to check the uppers if you don't see anything with the bottom joints or you can also push/pull the top of the tire and get a little momentum going under the weight of the truck and listen for a noise or feel a click or pop. OR get your jack out then, with the wheel and tire raised off the ground, grasp the top and bottom of the tire. Try to rock it in and out along a vertical axis; a fair amount of force is needed to overcome the weight of the wheel and tire. It should not move at all, except for side-to-side movement for steering. Any rocking in and out indicates that at least one of the ball joints is bad.

Old 06-30-2015, 06:10 PM
Baja

The plastic covers are for shipping only.
in addition to rocking, you want to jack it up and using a pry bar see if you can get any up and down movement. You want none.

Old 07-01-2015, 11:10 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys for all that helpful info!

You are right about the plastic around the boots being there for only shipping and handling.

I will do the test to see if I can tell if the other ball joints need to be replaced. Finally gonna get a little one on one time with my m'lady.

Old 07-02-2015, 07:22 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

The reason why I think Its at the steering pump is because I had a buddy turn the wheel and I watched the steering arm move all the way down to the pump and then the wheels would move. Again like 2 to 3 inches of play.

I will be ordering a new steering pump this week as well.
Are you talking about the steering box? The pump only has hoses & a belt hooked up to it. You will not see any difference in the pump when turning the wheels.
You can adjust the steering box. There are instructions in the RAVE on how to do it. If it is loose, adjusting it will take up some of the play.

Edit: Found this thread: https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...ustment-38774/

Here's a steering diagram: http://www.roversnorth.com/Land-Rover-Parts/404

Last edited by acamato; 07-02-2015 at 07:44 AM.

Quick Reply: Steering -Steering Pump and Front End