General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Transmission fluid

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 01:32 AM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission fluid

Good evening forum. I had a little issue today. So I noticed that my 03 d2 was not shifting as smooth as it was. I figured it might be low on fluid. I followed another members tutorial here on adding tranny fluid, started the truck, let it run to temp, went under truck, removed fill plug and fluid started pouring out. Being the butter fingers I am, I dropped the plug, quickly reached for it and put it back on. I did however lose about a quart or so of oil. Did I do something wrong? Was I supposed to have the truck in gear or something? How can I replace the quart or so of fluid if it keeps pouring out when I remove the plug.

Thank you forum for any help. I Am new to the land rover world ( obviously lol ), but am looking to learn alot from the other members.

Dave

Old 08-28-2011, 06:50 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

You may as well drain the entire contents of the pan, and replace with fresh. Three quarts. Replace plug. Let truck warm up, shift through each gear. Recheck level at tranny disptick under hood (not the oil one, the other one). Add if needed. After driving, check again. And again next morning after sitting overnight. The tranny holds more fluid, but half of it is inside the torque converter and difficult to remove. Some members do one fluid drain and fill, then after running truck and letting it cool down they do a second, figuring that 75% of the fluid will be new.

For those that want to remove modest quantities of fluid without the drain plug, in the Home Depot lawn mower aisle they have a manual oil vac pump, it can suck tranny fluid, PS fluid, various oils, out through the dip stick hole or inspection hole with a small plastic tube.

Old 08-28-2011, 08:21 AM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

no you were good, as long as the vehicle is in park and you open the side bolt that is the fill plug then you are ok. When it runs out of the pan while its running is a good sign. When its not running and you fill it to that capacity its not full.

Old 08-28-2011, 01:30 PM
5th Gear

So I figured it out. I didnt shift the car to get the fluid moving. Re tried it this morning and worked like a charm.
Thank you everyone for your input.
Dave

Old 08-28-2011, 05:07 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

So, now go you know if you are low or not, what color is the fluid, did it smell burned? You may want to check it again if you dumped that much fluid.

Old 08-29-2011, 03:48 AM
4wd Low

Call the dealer and double check. If it recommends the 5w-30 in the manual, you should be ok but check first.