General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Transmission problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 08:40 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
And it is a good feature on the D1s also, because it allows us to drive the Disco in locked mode just on the rear wheels while we carry the shaft to be rebuilt or hunt for parts. Mine must have been through this once, there are all kinds of impact marks on the floorboard near the shaft at the transfer case end, like someone took a sledge hammer to the sheet metal and beat the living **** out of it.

But once you have re-done your universals with zerk equipped ones, does this happen again if you keep up with the grease schedule?

I don't think front shaft failure on D1's is a common thing. Maybe a PO actually did take a sledgehammer to the floorboard?!

In theory: No, insofar as I have not heard of the usual catastrophic failure from a rebuilt and properly greased shaft. I rebuilt my shaft a few years ago, and grease it with every oil change BUT have yet to figure out how to grease the centering ball. Three days ago, I removed the shaft completely, turned it every which way, tilted my head, stood on one leg, and could not find a way to get grease into that ball even if I had a microscopic easily flexible grease needle.

Old 08-24-2011, 08:43 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

I would agree that the front propshaft could be replaced without removal of the tranny, etc. There is a write up on how to rebuild it in the tech section, plus two articles on the transfer case. Thats in the Disco 1 section of the forum.

If you already have the tranny out, might want to look into what would be involved to do the rear main seal at this time.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:17 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
If you already have the tranny out, might want to look into what would be involved to do the rear main seal at this time.
Good call. Easy job if the transmission is already out and you have good access.

Old 08-25-2011, 07:49 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by GandAautoLLC
So removing the transfer case and transmission wasnt the right thing to do. I should have just replaced the front drive shaft. Shouldnt the yoke on the transfer case move a little or at all, even if the drive shaft snapped off. How does the transfer case know if there is anything on the end. Im stumpped. Thank you for all your help
No, that was the wrong thing to do.
Here is why your truck will not move, this is physics 101.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...l-works-40804/

Power is sent to the path of least resistance.
Watch the video, its cool and explains how a differential works, your transfer case is actually a differential.
Without it a full time 4x4 could not turn corners without exploding something.