LR2 Talk about the Land Rover LR2 within.

Click-click, click-click, click - no start?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2022, 11:03 AM
Drifting
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Bringing back Gary's thread

I am reviving this thread by @GaryHanson as my '08 LR2 is refusing to start and I need to vent. My mechanic just called describing the click-click no start situation. It ran last night after having the entire exhaust system from the head to the rear bumper replaced. He cleared codes and was going to go through the drive cycle this morning so we can finally get this car inspected but now this problem. I haven't been there yet to plug in my AP200. He has a way more capable scanner but my AP might sniff out some LR specific code.
I need to ask where the steering lock is located? Is it just under the column? I might try to bang on it just to see if it helps. Also going to see if there is an issue with the starter and check battery voltage.
I'm pretty bummed at this point as we have used this car 4 days since we got it at the end of June. It has been either in my garage or at the mechanic since.
Will come back if I find anything.
Steve

Old 08-12-2022, 11:10 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Steering column lock is located under the steering column. The LR2 is the equivalent to the Freelander 2 in Europe and UK so I am quite sure that there are YouTube vids and you can go to freel2.com and research there. Might want to "bang" the starter as well. Good luck. BTW, did he connect the MAF sensor?

Old 08-12-2022, 11:13 AM
Drifting

Thanks ThorInc. Will check out Freel2 and about to head over there with my scanner, will check MAF.

Old 08-12-2022, 11:44 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 519 Likes on 439 Posts

Click click is not the steering lock. That sounds like the starter. Inexpensive, quick to replace.

Old 08-12-2022, 12:35 PM
Drifting

Hi @flybd5, Just got back from the shop. It is doing the clicky-clicky relay dance under the dash. Display shows SYSTEM CHECK IN PROGRESS and STEERING COLUMN LOCKED. The starter is not clicking like a dead battery. They jumped the starter and it is working. All fuses and relays in the box near the air cleaner checked or reseated. There were a few bad grounds that were also repaired. The AP200 / Land Rover app showed no codes except for the Haldex (pump pressure) and All-terrain which it had before.
I tried to bang on the steering column but no joy. I never saw the steering column lock warning before.
So as it stands now the car is stuck and no further work until maybe Sunday when I will approach the steering lock to see if anything is there.
On the plus side the brand new exhaust system looks awesome. Too bad I can't see it when the car is on its tires ;/
Steve

Old 08-12-2022, 03:25 PM
Winching
Received 144 Likes on 106 Posts
Old 08-12-2022, 05:01 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 519 Likes on 439 Posts

There is another thread here where someone drilled into the steering lock, sprayed lubricant in it and it released. The lock is under the steering wheel. In the image below it is item #9.

It's that Step 2 in the removal steps that gives me hemorrhoids.

Last edited by flybd5; 08-12-2022 at 06:40 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ThorInc (08-12-2022)
Old 08-12-2022, 06:36 PM
Drifting

Thanks for the links and diagram. My plan is to get to the shop and pull the bottom cover off the column. Bang on the switch and hope I can get it running. I have requests out to a couple of places for the emulator, one UK and one UAE. Doesn’t seem to be available in the US. At least the column is not locked so maybe I can get it going. Will try to spray some kind of lubricant if it starts to work. So frustrating.

I bet a couple of properly sized resistors would bypass the internal sensor in that module. Must be a voltage divider circuit on the can bus. Unfortunately I don’t have a good switch to probe.

Last edited by SteveinRI; 08-12-2022 at 06:41 PM. Reason: Spelling edit
Old 08-14-2022, 04:32 PM
Drifting

Back to reply with my results.
Short story: The car is running!
Longer story: Got into the shop about 11:30 and start to pull the bottom cover off the column. 1 Philips screw and 1 missing screw. Hmmmmm. Pulled the cover and looking at the column I dont see the lock module. Poked around with my hand and found it laying on top of the knee air bag support. Fished it out and briefly let it hang by the wire and the module fell to the floor. OK so I took it to the bench and lightly tapped it with the hammer. Felt like something moved inside. Re inserted the plug and find that it doesn’t latch, Time to test. Insert the FOB and the module whirs and the lock tab goes in. Remove the FOB, whir lock tab out. Cool it works. Now press the start button and we have liftoff. Best I can figure is the plug dislodged with the module flopping around. Apparently this thing has been an issue before. For now, I wrapped black tape around it to secure the plug. Not sure if I will reattach the module to the steering column. Other option is to replace it with an emulator but the present solution is free. Thanks for everyone’s help and this thread for making this latest problem bearable.

The following users liked this post:
flybd5 (08-14-2022)
Old 08-14-2022, 06:00 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Just an FYI, if you do go the emu route, I believe it will only wok once the BCU sees an unlocked module first. The steering lock can be disabled/deleted in JLR SDD vs an emu.

Last edited by ThorInc; 08-14-2022 at 06:20 PM.

Quick Reply: Click-click, click-click, click - no start?