LR2 Talk about the Land Rover LR2 within.

Click-click, click-click, click - no start?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2022, 06:26 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 519 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveinRI
Back to reply with my results.
Short story: The car is running!
Longer story: Got into the shop about 11:30 and start to pull the bottom cover off the column. 1 Philips screw and 1 missing screw. Hmmmmm. Pulled the cover and looking at the column I dont see the lock module. Poked around with my hand and found it laying on top of the knee air bag support. Fished it out and briefly let it hang by the wire and the module fell to the floor. OK so I took it to the bench and lightly tapped it with the hammer. Felt like something moved inside. Re inserted the plug and find that it doesn’t latch, Time to test. Insert the FOB and the module whirs and the lock tab goes in. Remove the FOB, whir lock tab out. Cool it works. Now press the start button and we have liftoff. Best I can figure is the plug dislodged with the module flopping around. Apparently this thing has been an issue before. For now, I wrapped black tape around it to secure the plug. Not sure if I will reattach the module to the steering column. Other option is to replace it with an emulator but the present solution is free. Thanks for everyone’s help and this thread for making this latest problem bearable.
Well, that's a fine whoopdedoo. I wonder what other surprises the previous owner/dealer didn't tell you about...

Old 08-14-2022, 06:28 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by ThorInc
Just an FYI, if you do go the emu route, I believe it will only wok once the BCU sees an unlocked module first. The steering lock can be disabled/deleted in JLR SDD vs an emu.
True. Apparently they did that with NA models after a certain VIN number. I'd bet anything a lawyer was involved in that.

Old 08-15-2022, 12:14 PM
Drifting
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by flybd5
Well, that's a fine whoopdedoo. I wonder what other surprises the previous owner/dealer didn't tell you about...
I have a list. My fault for not checking it out better. Its fodder for a different rant post.

Old 08-15-2022, 12:20 PM
Drifting
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Just an FYI, if you do go the emu route, I believe it will only wok once the BCU sees an unlocked module first. The steering lock can be disabled/deleted in JLR SDD vs an emu.
Need to check out the JLR SDD. At his point I have only seen reference to it but dont know what it entails. I have AlfaOBD for my Mopar (FCA) vehicles and have activated or adjusted many dealer only functions that they wont even touch anymore due to VIN restrictions.

Old 08-15-2022, 12:32 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Lots of info here in this very LR2 forum and then on others already referenced in those threads. The software and additional hardware is very powerful but not user friendly but all the info and items are out there should you be so inclined. Personally, I view it as an investment since I own a 2008 LR2 and have no intention to have a dealer/indie stick their hands deep into my pockets without foreplay first. Some things will are easier to do in engineering mode or but, it's like GOD mode and you can kill your LR2 deader than a very expensive nail, Google is your best friend since on one wants to be responsible for a bricked LR. I do not believe that the dealer is allowed to delete the TPMS or the steering lock but it most certainly can be done with the right setup and patience.
It's a good vehicle once any and all issues are addressed. I try to be proactive but there will always be unknowns with the purchase of a decade+ older vehicle with proprietary software out the wazoo.

Old 08-15-2022, 06:48 PM
Pro Wrench

Personally, I view it as an investment since I own a 2008 LR2 and have no intention to have a dealer/indie stick their hands deep into my pockets without foreplay first.
Hooha. Way too much information there, bud.

Old 08-15-2022, 06:49 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by SteveinRI
Need to check out the JLR SDD. At his point I have only seen reference to it but dont know what it entails. I have AlfaOBD for my Mopar (FCA) vehicles and have activated or adjusted many dealer only functions that they wont even touch anymore due to VIN restrictions.
The SDD is software that runs on a Windows XP or 10 laptop, depending which version you have. You also need a Mongoose cable and a power supply (usually a PSC-550 but those are getting harder to find) to keep the vehicle powered up, or else you risk bricking something. The user interface is from the dark ages, but if you can get past that it's pretty useful.