LR2 Talk about the Land Rover LR2 within.

Holy cow.

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2022, 09:52 PM
Winching
Received 263 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by flybd5
GPS jammers are also highly illegal and can land you in a federal jail. They are also easy to detect and track down. If the car has a tracker and the thief is scared of it being found with him, guess what, it did its job. I know you are covering the obvious, but most car thieves do not go to such lengths. You know that as well as I do.
GPS jammers are not any more illegal than other jammers. There's nobody actively monitoring for or searching for jammers... the FCC has the ability to do that, but it's generally only deployed when a known problem is identified, ie somebody has to complain about it.

The small jammers in question only affect a small area, ie they'd be enough to keep a car from using GPS to locate itself but not enough to disrupt navigation in a significant area (start messing with air navigation, and that would get you some attention for sure).

But GPS jamming might not even be enough, a car with a cell-based on board system can locate itself via cell towers, although less precisely than GPS.

Thieves are using sophisticated technology, because that's the only way to actually steal modern cars in most cases. Jammers are not a stretch...

https://www.ksat.com/news/2019/03/12...teal-vehicles/

https://www.forbes.com/uk/advisor/ca...ess-car-crime/

Once they use tech to steal the car, they probably have to do something to keep it from phoning home with it's location.

Old 08-24-2022, 07:15 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 519 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by merlinj79
GPS jammers are not any more illegal than other jammers.
Get caught using one, even a "personal" one, anywhere near an airport and find out what happens after they lock you up. Ever heard of something called a "GPS approach"?

There's nobody actively monitoring for or searching for jammers...
That's wrong. EVERY AIRCRAFT in the sky (commercial or private) using required ADS-B is doing just that, by monitoring and reporting of GPS signal quality, and there are tools onlline to make the locations of the jamming signals by triangulation.

Old 08-25-2022, 01:23 PM
Winching
Received 263 Likes on 200 Posts

Get caught using one, even a "personal" one, anywhere near an airport and find out what happens after they lock you up. Ever heard of something called a "GPS approach"?
I'm a pilot for a US legacy airline, so yeah. I'm also retired military, with relevant experience in the actual use of actual jammers, and the mitigation thereof.

Those small jammers would not affect an aircraft, too far from the ground. Small personal jammers only jam GPS devices in near proximity to your person, so it would prevent your iphone or possibly the nav system in your car from knowing your location.

Unlike in the case of ground based radio navaids, a GPS jammer is not physically between the aircraft receiver and the satellites.

That's wrong. EVERY AIRCRAFT in the sky (commercial or private) using required ADS-B is doing just that, by monitoring and reporting of GPS signal quality, and there are tools onlline to make the locations of the jamming signals by triangulation.
If you deployed a powerful jammer in near proximity to instrument approach paths and left it there, then yes that would get noticed. Like I said before. A small portable jammer, used intermittently in different locations will not get noticed.

Old 08-25-2022, 02:42 PM
Pro Wrench

This is pointless. I'm out, got better things to do.

Old 11-01-2022, 05:23 PM
Winching
Received 144 Likes on 106 Posts

I bought this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09QYG17S8...roduct_details

$45. Put in any SIM card you want, I use a cheap $5 a month SpeedTalk card and only use SMS. The unit has a very rich feature set including several low power options, including do nothing until you sense motion. It comes with wiring and a relay you can use to remotely cut either ignition or fuel pump.
What kind of payment arrangement do you have for your $5/mo SpeedTalk card? I'm leary of providing my bank account for auto-pay, or my SSN to activate a prepaid credit card. Do you have concerns around this?

Old 11-01-2022, 06:28 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by LR2driver
What kind of payment arrangement do you have for your $5/mo SpeedTalk card? I'm leary of providing my bank account for auto-pay, or my SSN to activate a prepaid credit card. Do you have concerns around this?
I generated a phantom disposable CC number on PayPal. I also get cash back. I pay once a year and do not allow them to store any financial info.

Old 11-01-2022, 06:58 PM
Winching
Received 144 Likes on 106 Posts

I generated a phantom disposable CC number on PayPal. I also get cash back. I pay once a year and do not allow them to store any financial info.
I see. I would probably get a $60 disposable Visa Gift Card and just swap it out with a new one every year. Similar to your solution.

Old 11-01-2022, 06:59 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by LR2driver
I see. I would probably get a $60 disposable Visa Gift Card and just swap it out with a new one every year. Similar to your solution.
That will work just as well, but I am considering switching to a data-only sim card on my Google Fi account.