LR2 Talk about the Land Rover LR2 within.

Importing An LR2 HSE from the Middle East into the UK

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 06:32 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Importing An LR2 HSE from the Middle East into the UK

Can anyone tell me what modifications/additions etc. are required to register an LR2 HSE in the UK. Land Rover certainly can't. Please see emails below.

Thu, Aug 22, 2013 at 1:53 PM
1:53 PM

Message starred
LCRC/2013/06122

FROM Land Rover Customer Relationship Centre TO You

Show Details

From

Thank you for your email.

We would like to reiterate that it is unlikely that your 2011 LR2 will meet all the UK standards. As an example; we have lower emission standards in the GCC and your vehicle may therefore not meet the emissions in the UK. And so it will be required for you to research about the emission levels required for an imported LR2 vehicle to the UK. We would advise you to contact the Customer Relationship Centre in the UK to obtain technical assistance.

Moreover, after reviewing the matter with the Land Rover technical team, we were informed that the Diesel and Petrol engines are completely different engines with regards to the transmission, fuel system, etc., and there is no information for such a conversion as it is not recommended or supported by Land Rover.

Furthermore, vehicles in the UK are Right Hand vehicles and the Steering Wheel cannot be swapped over to the other side due to the difference in bulk head which is a part of the complete body. Additionally, the Lightening is also different between the Left and the Right Hand vehicles.

The recommendations from the Land Rover Technical Team are that very few of the original parts will be remaining if such a conversion would take place and Land Rover does not support this in anyway due to all the technical and legal problems that will occur.

We hope the above provides a satisfactory explanation.

Yours sincerely,
Olla Al Zoubi

Land Rover Customer Relationship Centre
Middle East and North Africa

Please retain the reference number provided in this communication to expedite handling of your enquiry.

Sent: Monday, August 19, 2013 10:04 PM
To: Land Rover Customer Relationship Centre
Cc: arakib@jaguarlandrover.com
Subject: Re: LCRC/2013/06122

To: "customercare@landrover-crc.com" <customercare@landrover-crc.com>
Cc: "arakib@jaguarlandrover.com" <arakib@jaguarlandrover.com>
Sent: Monday, August 19, 2013 1:03 PM
Subject: Re: LCRC/2013/06122

For the attention of Mr.Olla Al Zoubi,

Thank you for a reply to my email. I am fully aware that the Freelander 2 and LR2 are largely the same, probably the main difference being that a Freelander 2 in Qatar has a diesel engine.

Since Land Rover have designed and assembled the LR2 I would expect them to know exactly which parts of the Freelander 2 have not been used in The LR2 and if any of these have UK certification. It seems that Land Rover UK have no knowledge of what is put in their own export vehicles. If that is the case how can a vehicle importation agent be expected to know, not only about Land Rover vehicles but all other vehicles manufactured worldwide?

Like Land Rover UK your reply is wholly unsatisfactory.

Regards,

From: Land Rover Customer Relationship Centre <customercare@landrover-crc.com>
Sent: Monday, August 19, 2013 12:28 PM
Subject: LCRC/2013/06122

Thank you for contacting Land Rover Customer Relationship Centre.

With reference to your enquiry regarding your vehicle exportation, please note that your vehicle was built and designed to meet the GCC standards. It is unlikely that your 2011 LR2 will meet all the UK standards. Vehicle specification requirements vary from country to country and you may be required to modify your vehicle to meet these requirements. We recommend that you contact a Vehicle Importation Agent in the UK who will be able to assist you with this.

Moreover, we would like to clarify that the Freelander 2 is also known as the LR2.

We hope the above provides a sufficient clarification.

Yours sincerely,

Olla Al Zoubi

Land Rover Customer Relationship Centre

Middle East and North Africa

Please retain the reference number provided in this communication to expedite handling of your enquiry.

Sent: Saturday, August 17, 2013 11:33 AM
To: Land Rover Customer Relationship Centre
Subject: LCRC/2013/06122

Dear Sirs,

I own a LR2 which I purchased from Al Fardan in Qatar approx. 30 months ago. The chassis number is SALFA2BA5BH230011. Could you please advise me what modifications/additions need to be made to permanently import the vehicle into the UK.

Jaguar Land Rover in Coventry have been particularly unhelpful being unable to tell me what the differences are between a Freelander 2 and my vehicle.

Regards,

Old 08-22-2013, 07:17 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Being a forum based in the US, most of our focus is there, while we do have a large international following. There are UK based forums that may have an ear closer to the ground on this issue. Here in the US, attempts to bring in non-compliant vehicles can result in siezure and destruction of the vehicle, as wel as legal problems for the person involved.

The good news is that Rovers a cheap and plentiful in the UK, so sell yours now and buy something when you get there.

Old 08-25-2013, 06:00 PM
Winching
Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

It would be way easier just to sell what you have and buy one in the UK. Its not a simple conversion like bringing a car from Canada into the USA.

If the car is currently Left Hand Drive, it has to be converted to Right Hand Drive, which means: Dash, wiring, steering components, etc...

Engine is most likely different, if not engine and transmission. Then comes the programming to go with it. If you got a used motor, you would also need the engine ECU, but then the VIN in the Engine controller would not match the VIN stored in the other modules on board. Its a huge can of worms and even if you did manage to make it all work, there is no garuntee it would pass the stringent MOT inspection.