LR2 Talk about the Land Rover LR2 within.

Land Rover LR2 reliability

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 06:43 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dolejnic_99
For the person who had the Rear differential go. Was it really the Rear differential or was it the differential actuator motor internal gear?

The reason I asked is that I thought the LR2 had the BMW Transmission and differential and I helped my brother replace the gear in his BMW, it took about 2 hours and only cost $70.00
It was rear differential bearing http://www.freel2.com/gallery/albums...3/LTB00342.pdf

Though they did not replace just the bearing and race since there is a new redesigned differential that they put in to eliminate this issue.
Funny that a design flaw isn't a recall.

Old 10-03-2013, 10:37 AM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by oliver1071
It was rear differential bearing http://www.freel2.com/gallery/albums...3/LTB00342.pdf

Though they did not replace just the bearing and race since there is a new redesigned differential that they put in to eliminate this issue.
Funny that a design flaw isn't a recall.
Do you know what year they changed the design? I have a 2011 with 32k and so far no issues, only tires.

Old 10-04-2013, 08:35 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by dolejnic_99
Do you know what year they changed the design? I have a 2011 with 32k and so far no issues, only tires.
I see the same bulletin until 2011 but I get access denied on higher years I don't have a subscription on the topix site.

https://topix.landrover.jlrext.com/t...&cat=BULLETINS

I should have taken a picture of my old rear I think it's visually different but I don't have anything to compare it to. I'll take a pic of the new one and post it over the weekend.

Old 10-04-2013, 09:13 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by oliver1071
Sell them! I just got hit with the dreaded rear differential failure with my 2008 LR2 HSE. At 69k miles this is unbelievable to me that my wife's street driven LR2 differential has a bearing failure at 69k.
$1800 in parts and labor it'll be done on Monday.
I guess they're getting a lot of practice fixing this because I've seen people post up to 5k for the repair when people started hitting 60-80k miles.

I'm 42 and this is the first car that I've ever even heard of that's had a rear differential fail under 200k miles if at all. I'm pissed
This should be a recall! My god damn rotors lasted longer than the differential that's just unbelievable.

When did the differential become a wear item?
My LR2 is a 2010, and the differential repair was done at 28,000miles, so it was covered under LR manufacturer warranty. I'd been hearing the sound for a while, but at 28,000miles with 4 people in the LR2, the sound was finally unmistakeably heard by all ! The sound was like a rollercoaster car going up the track, and it only seemed to happen while going in reverse.

I've found that it helps to sometimes drive with windows rolled down and radio off, so that you hear some of these sounds while still under LR warranty ! Although, it still often takes a lot of time and effort to get a dealership to address the complaint, even if a Land Rover Technical Service Bulletin has been issued regarding the failure, which is very frustrating !

My repair invoice stated that alot of metal was found in the rear differential assembly int bearing (heavily contaminated with metal). Rear differential assembly was tested and replaced. Steering geometry was checked and adjusted (inc castor, camber, king pin inclination, toe in/toe out on turns, rear wheel). It was covered under warranty, so no charge. But, if this was an identified problem with 2008 LR2's, it should've been fixed or recalled by LR before I purchased my 2010 LR2. No such luck !

Also, I have been experiencing a problem with the right front wheel and its related suspension since Dec 2012. No luck yet in having it fixed correctly. The camber angle of the wheel is off; the LR2 dips down too low on the right side when making tight right-hand turns. It has a positive camber angle on that right wheel that is visible to the eye. Lots of repairs, but still not fixed correctly yet . It's been about 9 months. But, I'm still trying...

Old 10-04-2013, 04:10 PM
Three Wheeling

Here's the new Rear.
What do you know it does look different.
If I remember correctly the old casting stuck out on both side and could see the axle shaft seals.
So if your differential doesn't look like this one complain until they replace it while it's under warranty

Old 01-26-2014, 02:25 PM
Mudding

We've updated our reliability stats for the LR2 / Freelander to include owner experiences through September 30, 2013.

Repair frequencies, in terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2008 LR2 / Freelander: 36, low

We'll have further updates in February and in May. The more owners participate, the more comprehensive and precise these will be.

To see how competitors compare, and to sign up to help improve this information:

Land Rover LR2 / Freelander reliability ratings and comparisons

Old 04-21-2014, 01:17 PM
Mudding

We've updated our reliability stats for the LR2 / Freelander to include owner experiences through December 31, 2013.

2008 LR2 / Freelander: 44, low

We'll have further updates in May and in August. The more owners participate, the more comprehensive and precise these will be.

To see the repairs behind these stats, and to sign up to help improve this information:

Old 07-24-2014, 11:50 AM
Mudding

Our reliability stats for the LR2 / Freelander now include owner experiences through March 31, 2014, making them nearly a year ahead of other sources.

2008 LR2 / Freelander: 47, low

Thank you, once again, everyone who has been helping. Next update in August.

For a deeper dive, including the stats for other cars and repair descriptions, and to sign up to help improve this information:

Old 10-27-2014, 09:31 AM
Mudding

We've updated our reliability stats for the LR2 / Freelander to include owner experiences through June 30, 2014 (making them about 14 months ahead of some others).

2008 LR2 / Freelander: 33, low

Next updates in November and in February. The more owners participate, the more comprehensive and precise these will be.

For repair descriptions, the stats of other cars, and to sign up to help improve this information:

Old 01-07-2015, 03:42 PM
Mudding

We've updated our reliability stats for the LR2 / Freelander to include owner experiences through September 30, 2014.

2008 LR2 / Freelander: 30, low

Additional participants needed to cover other model years.

To view the repairs reported, check the stats for other cars, and sign up to help improve this information (next update in February):