LR2 Talk about the Land Rover LR2 within.

LR2 door locks operation

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 06:49 PM
Winching
Received 144 Likes on 106 Posts
Default LR2 door locks operation

Since I got my 2008 LR2, when I am in the drivers seat about to exit the car, the front door lock would auto-open after I turned off the ignition and opened the door handle manually. A few days ago this behavior changed where I had to manually open the door lock tab before opening the door handle. Today it changed again, seemingly all by itself, where I cannot open the door handle or lock tab by hand. Now I have to press the unlock button on the dash before I can exit my car. What is going on ?!?!?

Old 05-15-2014, 04:23 PM
Winching

Update: When exiting my 2008 LR2, I have to pull the driver's door handle twice. The first pull unlocks the door locks, and the second pull opens the door. During the first few years I owned this vehicle, I only had to pull the driver's door handle once and it would unlock the door locks and open the door in one single action. The passenger side door requires only one pull to unlock and open itself.

I had my vehicle into the dealer for scheduled service this week and they haven't seen this problem before and don't have a clear solution. They suspect the problem may be a broken door handle since the driver's door is operating differently than the passenger door. They gave me a $526 estimate to replace the handle, but this is not a sure-thing fix.

I understand that many European vehicles (including the Volvo S80) require two pulls of the driver's door handle to unlock/open the door. However, the dealer says that's not the normal operation for a 2008 LR2. And they are correct as it didn't behave like this before.

I suspect this might be a programming issue, but the LR2 programming preferences don't indicate anything similar. I would be very interested to hear from other LR2 owners who have a similar experience.

Last edited by LR2driver; 05-15-2014 at 04:29 PM.
Old 11-02-2014, 05:35 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default same problem

I recently started experiencing the same symptoms, seemingly out of nowhere. When operating normally, the doors unlock when the key exits the ignition, or when I pull the handle. A few weeks ago, it started requiring two pulls of the driver's side handle. Now, it won't unlock at all from the driver's side without actually hitting the unlock button.

The passenger side still works properly. And when my wife opens that door first, I can then open the driver's side with one pull.

Did you ever figure it out? This is the only post I've found so far for this problem.

Thanks!
Matt

Old 11-02-2014, 06:38 PM
Winching

You didn't indicate which year/model of vehicle you have.

Anyway, I've gotten used to pulling the driver's door handle twice to unlock the door and exit. I understand this is a safety feature in some other European vehicles (e.g., BMW). I don't know what happened to make this safety feature suddenly become active because it didn't work like this for the first couple years after I purchased my vehicle (a 2008 LR2).

For a very brief time, I had the same problem you are describing where I could not open the door handle from the inside. It would only release if I pressed the unlock button or the passenger door was opened first. I don't remember exactly what I did to fix this particular problem, but I know I fiddled around with pressing either the unlock/lock buttons on the dash or the key fob until the driver's door handle would release.

Here is a post on a related issue another owner had with some suggestions that might help:
Freel2.com - View topic - How do you make the drivers door unlock all doors on exit?

Old 11-02-2014, 07:11 PM
2nd Gear
Default thanks

08 LR2 also.. thanks for the link; I'll try that

Old 06-25-2015, 07:23 AM
1st Gear

my 05 lr3 driver side door will not unlock but all other doors will