LR2 Talk about the Land Rover LR2 within.

New to me 2009 LR2

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2023, 09:29 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to me 2009 LR2

I think I got it for a steal compared to other small/medium suvs i have purchased in the past. I am a cheap ***. It was only $1175, and had 126k miles on it. Was leery knowing what issues can come up with land rovers, but after replacing the battery and windshield wipers, she runs really well. Here are a few issues I could use some help with.

1. Headliner... I know, it happens. I will probably just do the corkscrew pegs.
2. Suspension. She likes to lose stability when I hit bumps, particularly on the right side. I feel like struts are the culprit,, mainly rear. Anything else, I should be on the look out for?
3. Bluetooth. I pushed the button once when driving it home on a dead battery. It did not like me. Screen flashed on an off 5-6 times and the button does nothing ever since. Maybe just a fuse?

Overall, I like the vehicle. It looks nice and drives well,, but i want to give her a nice long life. Thanks for the help.

Old 06-10-2023, 03:11 PM
Winching
Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts

2. Yes struts and also check front control arms

3. Try a system reset:
Disconnect both battery cables (neg first)
Wait ten minutes
Touch battery cable ends together
Wait ten
Connect battery (pos first)
Wait ten
Insert key fob (don't turn on)
Wait ten
Turn car systems on, but not the motor (with foot off brake, press and hold start button for a few seconds)
Wait ten
Start engine, drive around a bit

There are a variety of other mx items which you probably need to address. The vehicle drives really nice if it's maintained, mine is doing fine at 170k+ with some heavy duty duty towing in mountains. The LR schedule does NOT address all necessary mx items, they assume you'll buy a new one within 10 years/100k miles. Assuming you have the 3.2L i6 engine, the entire drivetrain is volvo, which has a more rigorous mx schedule. I'd replace any fluids which you do not have a shop record indicating the proper type of fluid. Like many modern cars, this one does not like generic fluids.

Tranny: replace fluid with OEM Aisin fluid. Also check motor mounts and upper torque link, those are probably worn. Those two items will probably resolve any rough shifting.

Fuel pressure sender: These will fail eventually, I'd just replace it to avoid hassle later. Cheap and easy ten minute DIY.

Engine Oil: Use a good synthetic, and use the weight specified in the manual. Also check that the anti-drain back valve in the filter housing is still intact.

Power steering: Replace fluid and reservoir (it has a built-in filter). Otherwise your PS pump will fail and that costs a lot more. Pentosin CHF 202

Brake fluid: Pentosin DOT 4 LV (the LV part matters).

Rear Diff: Known failure point, I'd replace OEM fluid with a synthetic, I use AMSOIL severe gear, and my replacement differential has held up well.

AOC (aka Haldex): Replace fluid and filter, use OEM volvo. Need to identify whether you have Haldex 3 or 4 to get the right parts.

PTU/Transfer Case: Replace fluid with OEM: Castrol BOT 118/95 Plus

Drive Belt, Tensioner, and Idler Pulley: Replace.

Starter & Alternator: Replace if you need road trip reliability.

Brakes: Replace brake hoses. A nice brake upgrade is NAPA premium rotors and akebono ceramic pads.

Coolant: OEM (volvo is cheaper than LR) or Si-OAT Pentosin E. Also since over 120k miles if you need to rely on this car on long road trips you'll want to replace all these cooling parts (urgent items with * ):
*Radiator
Upper Hose
Lower Hose
*Thermostat
Water Pump
*Fan + control module
Tranny oil cooler
Engine oil cooler
Expansion Tank

Lot of stuff to consider, but priority on the fluids... those will cost you a lot (probably more than the car's worth) if any of the gearboxes fail.

Lots of discussion and how to DIY on this forum, and also the Brit forum:
https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic32504.html
https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr...es-done-86574/

Last edited by merlinj79; 06-10-2023 at 04:41 PM.