LR2 Talk about the Land Rover LR2 within.

Winter is here: Roof Drain Thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2022, 12:10 PM
Drifting
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Winter is here: Roof Drain Thoughts

So our roof drains consist of rubber hoses running inside the B pillars and attached to nipples in the roof above the B pillars.
After our first rain, I noticed a moldy smell in my 2012 LR2 but I couldnt find any wet area.
I found instructions on another forum on how to lower the headliner and put a length of string weed trimmer string down the tubes.
I could not get the headliner off the top front light area (two push connectors looked like they would break the light holder if I tried to force them).
I could not get the headliner off the rear center area either.
But I got the headliner down enough on each side to remove (with great difficulty since I have rather large hands) the tubes and push a string down them and I also used a tire inflation air compressor with a funnel attachment to put pressure into each tube.

My observations: the passenger side had water in it, the string was wet when it came out. I do not believe the string opened the obstruction, but after I used the air compressor on it, and stringed it again, it was dry. So I think the air compressor worked. The driver's side hose seemed to be working fine.

Conclusions:
  • I don't like the central drain system because I think water will build up in the roof if the vehicle is not driven and left at a slight angle (like most driveways). This could result in a smell even though the drains are working.
  • It is very hard to access the drains and I could only get the string down 31 inches at most, which may mean that the air comporessor is the only way as there might be a sharp turn in the tube.
  • replacing a tube is going to be a huge problem when they dry out and crack.
Ideas?

Old 12-03-2022, 12:10 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 519 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by BlairMaynard
So our roof drains consist of rubber hoses running inside the B pillars and attached to nipples in the roof above the B pillars.
After our first rain, I noticed a moldy smell in my 2012 LR2 but I couldnt find any wet area.
I found instructions on another forum on how to lower the headliner and put a length of string weed trimmer string down the tubes.
I could not get the headliner off the top front light area (two push connectors looked like they would break the light holder if I tried to force them).
I could not get the headliner off the rear center area either.
But I got the headliner down enough on each side to remove (with great difficulty since I have rather large hands) the tubes and push a string down them and I also used a tire inflation air compressor with a funnel attachment to put pressure into each tube.

My observations: the passenger side had water in it, the string was wet when it came out. I do not believe the string opened the obstruction, but after I used the air compressor on it, and stringed it again, it was dry. So I think the air compressor worked. The driver's side hose seemed to be working fine.

Conclusions:
  • I don't like the central drain system because I think water will build up in the roof if the vehicle is not driven and left at a slight angle (like most driveways). This could result in a smell even though the drains are working.
  • It is very hard to access the drains and I could only get the string down 31 inches at most, which may mean that the air comporessor is the only way as there might be a sharp turn in the tube.
  • replacing a tube is going to be a huge problem when they dry out and crack.
Ideas?
There no LR2 or Freelander 2 younger than 7 years. Over time some are bound to have those drain tubes clogged. Trying to engineer a better solution may, IMO, just make the issue worse. I think you should just check yours once a year, or when the musty smell returns, whatever comes first.

Old 12-03-2022, 12:25 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

I can't remember but the drain should exit somewhere in the under body, so that's an easy check IMO, might even try the weed whacker cord from the underside.

Old 12-03-2022, 12:28 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 519 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by ThorInc
I can't remember but the drain should exit somewhere in the under body, so that's an easy check IMO, might even try the weed whacker cord from the underside.
I wonder if Roto-Rooter will take service calls for that diameter. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Old 12-03-2022, 12:30 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by flybd5
I wonder if Roto-Rooter will take service calls for that diameter. 🤣🤣🤣🤣
Put that weed whacker cord on a drill and root away!!

The following users liked this post:
flybd5 (12-03-2022)