LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 LR3 - Transmission fault, HDC fault, Parking brake fault, Engine system fault

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 09:40 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 145 Likes on 127 Posts
Default Change it now or change it later.

Originally Posted by yeager6
Brake switch was simple and worked on my 06 3. Thanks !!
It is amazing how often I have read a post such as yours.

About all I can say is that for those owners who have not already replaced the brake light switch, you may as well do it now before you experience any problems as you will be doing it later anyway.

At least now is the summer time - winter is less fun to be crawling around.

And thanks for the update.

Old 08-01-2013, 02:12 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ditto; recently had same problem on my 06 LR3 and it proved to be one of the two brake light switches. replaced; problem solved; all clear.

Old 08-01-2013, 04:09 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 468 Likes on 419 Posts
Default There are two??

...I'd only ever heard of the one!

Old 08-01-2013, 08:09 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Maybe if they had two, there would be a 50% chance one of them would work.

Old 08-01-2013, 09:46 PM
Pro Wrench
Default Two sets of contacts, one NO, the other NC.

The reference is I believe to the fact that the LR brake light switch has two sets of contacts, the ones that power the actual brake lights which are normally open, and the set that I theorize causes the trouble, a set of normally closed contacts with microvolts across them feeding signal to the ABS system and computers.

That normally closed set of contacts get fouled by arcing dust off the other set at every make and break.

The following users liked this post:
dITCH dRIVER (05-24-2019)
Old 08-02-2013, 04:37 AM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bbyer
The reference is I believe to the fact that the LR brake light switch has two sets of contacts, the ones that power the actual brake lights which are normally open, and the set that I theorize causes the trouble, a set of normally closed contacts with microvolts across them feeding signal to the ABS system and computers.

That normally closed set of contacts get fouled by arcing dust off the other set at every make and break.
correct'O; two sets of contact points,

Old 08-20-2013, 11:11 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had same issues as many on this thread... transmission fault, cruise control not working, HDC error code...etc, etc. Replaced Brake Light Switch and changed out the bilbs in rear and so far so good. ALl error codes have cleared and we're running fine. Keeping fingers crossed. BTW... I'm not the most adept when it comes to vehicle repairs, but this was a simple process - thanks to the forum! You guys rock!

Old 11-11-2013, 04:34 PM
3rd Gear
Default If all else fails, it is the speed/abs sensor

I has this exact problem with my wife's LR3, however after replacing the brake switch, battery, and all the rear bulbs the issue still occurred. Before tearing out my hair, I decided to bite the bullet and take the car to Land Rover (Keep in mind that the OBD scanner was showing an issue with the Brake Switch and not the speed/abs sensor). Anyway, it turned out the right rear speed/abs sensor went bad. Once it was replaced the car was perfect.

I also have a newer Range Rover in which I replaced a speed sensor in the driveway, however the code properly appeared to indicate the exact failure point. I'm not sure why the LR3 is different, it just happens to be.

Last edited by wbi2003; 11-11-2013 at 04:37 PM.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:14 PM
Pro Wrench
Default I think the hint is "newer".

Originally Posted by wbi2003
I also have a newer Range Rover in which I replaced a speed sensor in the driveway, however the code properly appeared to indicate the exact failure point. I'm not sure why the LR3 is different, it just happens to be.
I would say the good news is your newer Range Rover is smarter than than the older LR3's. As such, it is good to hear that Land Rover does learn and improve on previous.

The general problem with computerized fault analysis is the the fault has to be one of the preprogrammed faults. It seems they do not program in "do not know" as a possible response, hence you cam get any jumble of fault codes.

The fault display reminds me of a baby; you get only the words or sounds they know; it is up to the parent to figure out what the message really is.

The following users liked this post:
docster2 (06-15-2021)
Old 11-12-2013, 11:49 AM
Overlanding

Great info in this thread. My wife's 05 HSE did this this morning. Lights on the dash and the suspension went to access mode. She only drives about 5 miles to work, so this happened shortly after start up.

Based on what Ive read here, the usual suspects are brake switch and battery. We've only owned it for about 3k miles, but nothing out of the ordinary until now. I picked it up from her work and drove it for ~40 miles and couldn't get it do do anything it shouldn't. All systems worked as they should, no lights on the dash.

Here's what I'm thinking so far: It recently got dark and cold when she leaves for work. So shes just started the truck, has the lights on, heater going, heated seats on. Max load is exposing a bad battery?

Sound plausible? Not that either brake switch or battery are expensive or difficult to fix, I'm just trying to avoid, if possible, replacing something that doesn't need it.

Last edited by p8nt; 11-12-2013 at 12:06 PM.

Quick Reply: 2006 LR3 - Transmission fault, HDC fault, Parking brake fault, Engine system fault