LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 LR3 - Transmission fault, HDC fault, Parking brake fault, Engine system fault

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 11:49 PM
Mudding
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by wbi2003
It sounds to me like you need to replace a speed sensor. Without a code reader it is hard to determine which is faulty, however all around replacement may be cheaper than the trip you would have to take to the dealer.
SO... I did some digging. Two of the closer dealerships to me gave me pricing on rear ABS sensors between $210 and 215. NAPA had them at $65, but back ordered. I finally found some from Lordco for $75 each. I figured I could order two for less than the price of one from LR so I have them on the way.

Now, I should mention that I did not order the front sensors (LR pricing at $50). This is for three reasons: 1) LR Richmond, BC - parts girl told me she has only sold one front sensor in two years. 2) Supply and demand. If the part is expensive the are in high demand, over stock is sold for less. Higher price on rear sensor means they are in demand because they fail more often. AND 3) When I called LR Edmonton asking for a rear ABS sensor, the first thing the Parts guy asked was if I had the "three amigos" on my dash (Park Brake/ABS, DSC, and Air Suspension).

hopefully, it is the solution.

Last edited by spiderman; 12-24-2013 at 04:57 PM.
Old 12-15-2013, 10:21 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts
Default starter problem most likely the contacts

Originally Posted by spiderman
And he said he would try to rebuild the starter before replacing it.
If you are rebuilding the starter, the problem is most likely the solenoid contacts.

It seems the starter motor itself is well built, however the solenoid contacts are weak.

Here from another forum, is one owners solution to getting past the solenoid contacts concern, at least for one more start.

Starter Clicking procedure to get engine started.

The battery was a low 12.06v. It was probably from me trying to start it the last few days. I put the jumper leads on to give it some charge and it would just click.

This might help others in the same situation with a dodgy solenoid.

Turn the ignition on and off rapidly. Go only one click from on, (ie. don't turn all the way off).

Repeat on/off quite a few times and the solenoid may free up.

The explanation if I remember correctly, was this burns off deposits on the solenoid. It worked, and car is now at the auto sparky for a new starter. Hoping this also solves my HDC faults.

Attached Thumbnails 2006 LR3 - Transmission fault, HDC fault, Parking brake fault, Engine system fault-starter-interals-2012-02-21%252013_49_00.jpg   2006 LR3 - Transmission fault, HDC fault, Parking brake fault, Engine system fault-starter-internals-2012-02-21%252014_26_39.jpg  
Old 12-15-2013, 11:13 AM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Looks just like what happens with Toyota starters. I'm guessing most ND starters must be setup that way. I've gotten contacts for the Toyota staters before. Like $10. I wonder if they can be obtained for these.

My starter has started acting up in the recent winter weather. It eventually starts. I was able to find one for $22 on amazon, shipped free with prime. I don't know if it was a pricing error or just an incentive to get someone to buy a new product. They show to be $140 now.

Old 12-15-2013, 12:50 PM
Pro Wrench
Default does not pay for the freight

I would call 22 dollars the postage; I suggest you got the starter for free.

Yes, the contacts are available from starter fix it speciality repair shops and maybe also Land Rover as the starters were failing while the 3 was still under factory warranty. It is amazing in that situation how the factory seems to come up with cheap fix it solutions.

I think the starter is about 500 dollars as a LR part, (NAD500310); even 140 seems pretty reasonable to me.

I recall that a Wilson rebuilt, (WAI), (Lester 19019), cost me about $300 a couple of years back.

12V NIPPONDENSO STARTER FOR 2005-2009 LANDROVER LR3 4.4L, 2006 2007 LANDROVER RANGE ROVER 4.2L, 2006 2007 LANDROVER RANGE ROVER SPORT 4.2L, AND 2006 2007 LANDROVER RANGE ROVER SPORT 4.4L (428000-1920, 428000-1921) - LANDROVER ALTERNATORS & STARTERS

Old 12-23-2013, 10:37 PM
Mudding
Default keep trying

thanks for the info guys,

the starter problem is very intermittent, I'll get it fixed some day.

the new ABS sensors went in the rear yesterday, but the warning lights persist.

I have ordered a pair of sensors for the front now and we'll see where that gets me.

I guess it's time for a diagnostic tool, it will likely save me money in the future. Until then, this vehicle will nickel and dime me to death, cuz the nickels are fifties and the dimes are hundreds....

Old 12-24-2013, 08:16 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spiderman
thanks for the info guys,

the starter problem is very intermittent, I'll get it fixed some day.

the new ABS sensors went in the rear yesterday, but the warning lights persist.

I have ordered a pair of sensors for the front now and we'll see where that gets me.

I guess it's time for a diagnostic tool, it will likely save me money in the future. Until then, this vehicle will nickel and dime me to death, cuz the nickels are fifties and the dimes are hundreds....
I would recommend the Autel EU702 scanner. I bought mine on eBay for about 150 and it has been able to properly diagnose both my Range Rover and the LR3 as it scans both internal modules for faults. Don't buy it retail as it can be quite expensive. Good Luck!

Old 01-07-2014, 12:22 AM
Mudding
Default the three amigos were right

SO!!

Finally sorted out the problem and of course, it was the last corner that I changed that was the problematic ABS sensor. I now have four new sensors installed in the driveway at a cost of roughly $300.

Good news is that the "three amigos"

DYNAMIC STABILITY CONTROL, AIR SUSPENSION, and ABS/PARK BRAKE

Will likely lead you to a faulty ABS/speed sensor.

I mentioned in an earlier post that I assumed the rear were to blame as I was informed that the front sensor was very rarely sold by my LR dealer and so I ordered the two for the rear. After changing both in a matter of an hour or so (quite simple really) I had no change in fault messages. I then ordered two for the front. The front are more of a challenge due to the plug-in end being hidden by the wheel arch liner and the sensor end requiring the removal of the caliper. That wasn't the only problem though, I also found the sensors to be surrounded by so much dirt and corrosion that they both broke as I was trying to remove them. That was nothing a careful drilling process and a vacuum couldn't fix. I also ran a dremel rotary tool in the bore to clean it as best as possible. Below are pictures of the new vs old sensor and the part that was left in the bore that needed drilling out.

A big THANK YOU! to all who have contributed to this thread, turned out to be valuable info for any and all of us who may find a barrage of yellow lights. I certainly hope this post helps someone in the future!

Attached Thumbnails 2006 LR3 - Transmission fault, HDC fault, Parking brake fault, Engine system fault-933979_10153703225000383_1286956476_n.jpg   2006 LR3 - Transmission fault, HDC fault, Parking brake fault, Engine system fault-1555313_10153703225135383_1380314802_n.jpg  
Old 01-07-2014, 07:31 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad to hear you're up and running spiderman - your story does confirm that sometimes you can pay for the diagnostic tool by not spending it on parts that aren't the problem. Not always though...I know my "investment" has been repaid by not throwing money at the dealership and being able to put the EPB into service mode etc for DIY brake work.

Old 01-07-2014, 09:14 AM
Pro Wrench
Default not very pretty

We appreciate your update. I must say the removed sensor does not look very pretty, and the cleanup task must have been a real chore. I hope you and your 3 were both inside and that you were not doing it out in the "fresh" air.

I saw a mention of brakes so I wondered if you have a copy of Bodsy's Brake Bible? If not, below is the link to the free download for the 36 page pdf. The data within can be invaluable to owners doing their own work such as yourself.

http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=4184

Download the latest version; v1.6a as of when I last looked; there has been over 7,800 views/downloads now.

Old 01-07-2014, 11:14 PM
Mudding

stmcknig, My story proves that without a scanner one can throw parts at a problem and still save money by not driving the 1,000 kms (600+ miles) to the nearest dealer. I fully intend on purchasing a scanner in the near future. But I will now consult the archives or post new threads on the topic at hand. I believe that this forum is the best tool we can all afford.

Bruce, I do have a copy of the Brake bible, thank you. The white background in the second photo above is snow. I did all four corners in the winter weather, but at least under a roof where there was nearly dry pavement. It was too cold for snow, but I am used to working outside.

Quick Reply: 2006 LR3 - Transmission fault, HDC fault, Parking brake fault, Engine system fault