LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Abnormal Tire Wear

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2006, 01:15 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Abnormal Tire Wear

I have a 2005 LR3 with the 18" Goodyear Wranglers and 13,600 mile on it.

The tires are nearly gone and have worn unevenly.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

The second questions is what tires would anyone recommend and the on-line stoe to by them.

Thanks in Advance.

Mike

Old 01-06-2006, 01:36 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Abnormal Tire Wear

As far as what tire, depends on what you will be doing, weather conditions and what style you like.

any way check out discount tire or the tire rack, bothline and discount tire has stores all over the place.

Old 01-07-2006, 02:07 AM
1st Gear

I've had horrible luck with the 18" Goodyear Wranglers on my '05 LR3. I've had to replace four tires because of cuts in the sidewalls, tire failure (while offroading), and uneven wear.

The uneven wear was apparently caused by rear wheel alignment problems. I would certainly make sure that you get your alignment checked.

Other than these tire problems, I've put 24K miles on my LR3 with no difficulties (knock on wood

Old 02-14-2006, 06:03 PM
8th Gear

You are not alone. The Goodyear sidewalls are crap. I blistered one this weekend out in Mojave. I did not rub the sidewall AT ALL. The blister happened (more than likely) after going over a sharp rock that cause the sidewall to buckle, even at 32 PSI. Needless to say... Land Rover has no business calling it an off-road-capable vehicle with Goodyear tires on there.

The Land Rover dealer says that its a "road hazard" issue and not covered under warranty. (I had 3600 miles on the tire). The Goodyear Gemeni center says that it would be covered if I bought a Road Hazard Protection Plan from them, but not otherwise.

BE AWARE! If you have a new LR3, you have NO COVERAGE for any damage to your tires. If you're keeping your Goodyear tires, go to your local Goodyear dealer and buy the extended tire warranty. It runs about $30/tire.

Anyone else having sidewall issues?

Old 02-18-2006, 02:34 AM
4wd Low

OK guys. Here is the scoup. The goodyear tires are crap. the casing is thin and they wear horrible on a 6000 pound car. but that is what you are stuck with. When you do get new tires switch to michelins. they are thicker and heavier and wear much better. The Lr3 is set up from the factory with negative camber in the alignment. This is normal and designed to better the handling and cornering aspects of the vehicle. It WILL wear the inside edge of the tires. Not rotating them and low air pressure exxagerate this wear. we are seeing short life out of these tires under those conditions. So Rotate your tires every 3000 to 5000 miles and keep your air pressure topped off. That means checking them every month at least. if you have questions on this or any other topics email me @ Etesta@lr-mv.com I would be happy to give you any help I can on these cars.

SSped

Old 08-21-2006, 08:34 PM
6th Gear

Hello!
I had the same issue just 6 months ago and having it again. Mine were gone by 14 thousand miles (the first time) now it's been 9 thousand. I've been on other forums where many others are complaining of the same issue. It's not your tires as they will tell you at the LR service dept. They will tell you to contact the tire manufacturer. It's the suspension. We had to go straight to Land Rover of North America. I suggest you go straight to them. It won't be easy. You'll have to fight for it. They will try to give you the run around as well. We ended up getting 2 tires replaced by them (the rear ones) and 2 we had to purchase ourselves (front ones).
Their # is 800-637-6837 option #9 (P.S. I've posted a new thread with all of the issues that my LR3 has had. Which I've come to find out that many others have.)
Best of luck to you!

Old 09-04-2006, 06:00 PM
1st Gear

Anyone with these Goodyear tire problems currently live in the San Francisco Bay Area? I'm hoping to actually compare tread wear problems for 2005 LR3 Land Rovers, and if I can get a couple of owners together to look at those tires, that would be great! If you're in the area, please give me a shout! Thanks!

Old 09-05-2006, 09:28 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

There is a TSB from Rover regarding uneven or bad tire wear and the steps necessary to correct it while under warranty.
Mike

Old 12-01-2006, 06:34 PM
Three Wheeling

Had Goodyear Wranglers on Disco II 30,000miles
Have Pirelli Scorpions on Disco III all 4 tyres bald as a coot 17,500miles. It's all down to the thing being so bloody heavy.