LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Dead - Navigation Screen Stays On

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 04:47 PM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

dude, read my old reply, we have lots of reprograms for issues like that. just take it to a land rover dealer.

Old 02-23-2012, 08:33 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rovin4life
dude, read my old reply, we have lots of reprograms for issues like that. just take it to a land rover dealer.
Unfortunately, I have taken it in twice and my local land rover dealer has proven themselves to be utterly incompetent. Supposedly, the one in Chicago is better but that's 2+ hours from here.

Old 02-23-2012, 08:54 AM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

What did they do exactly? Did they do any reprograms or anything like that. part of the issue can be phones not disconnecting in the telephone module.

Old 02-24-2012, 08:07 AM
Drifting

All they did was test my battery and charging system. They just said "The battery looks fine. Thanks." and did absolutely nothing.

That was over a year ago though. I broke down and decided to give them a second chance -- called them yesterday and thoroughly explained the issue. Going in on Monday. I will give them the info you provided and see what they say.

Thanks.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:45 PM
Drifting

Took the LR in today to the LR dealer. They said they couldn't detect any excessive draw on the battery. They're keeping it over night so they can see if they detect anything then...

They said that after starting the car it could take up to an hour drive to recharge the battery so if we'e only driving it for short distances, the alternator never gets a chance to fully charge the battery. I told them that was bull and my VW TDI never leaves me sit and I only drive it short distances every day.

Maybe the LR is just poorly designed with an inadequately powered alternator. Seems unlikely since I can imagine plenty of people in cold climates have short drives to work every day.

They weren't aware of any problems with my VIN range, etc. so I don't have much hope that the problem will be solved.

Old 10-18-2016, 08:44 AM
1st Gear
Default Navigation Screen Stays On

I see several post on this subject but most appear old, I am hoping to get a fresh thought on the issue. I have a 2005 LR3 and the navigation screen stays on the Land Rover logo even after the vehicle is turned off (even overnight). This killed my last battery that was over 3 years old so I purchased a new one. Even with the new battery the nav screen stays on. I tried the reset I read about (turning the key 3 times and starting the vehicle on the fourth time) but this did not reset the nav system.

A few days prior to the navigation screen staying on, the nav system and radio stopped working, no power or lights. I checked all the fuses, and they are all fine.

Old 10-19-2016, 08:48 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by bobzins
I see several post on this subject but most appear old, I am hoping to get a fresh thought on the issue. I have a 2005 LR3 and the navigation screen stays on the Land Rover logo even after the vehicle is turned off (even overnight). This killed my last battery that was over 3 years old so I purchased a new one. Even with the new battery the nav screen stays on. I tried the reset I read about (turning the key 3 times and starting the vehicle on the fourth time) but this did not reset the nav system.

A few days prior to the navigation screen staying on, the nav system and radio stopped working, no power or lights. I checked all the fuses, and they are all fine.
My issue was a bit different. A third party DVD player system that was installed by a previous owner was to blame in my situation. Still with that resolved, I still had weird issues with the LR3 that caused me to go through batteries pretty quick. The last one I was on did last at least a year which was surprising.

This year I just had enough of the constant ridiculously expensive repairs and traded my LR3 in for a used BMW X5. So far it's the best decision I ever made regarding a vehicle (well maybe except for getting myself a Toyota Tacoma

Old 11-10-2016, 01:43 PM
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Navy and radio screen stay on and kill battery

Originally Posted by Rovin4life
I have the same issue. I bought my LR in 2008 and have only serviced at land rover. Last year they informed me that I should change the battery for the winter and it wasn't necessary to have it done at the dealership. I was very impressed with the life of the first battery and replaced it with another interstate battery 2 weeks ago, looking for the same results. Battery was replaced at local auto parts store and everything seemed good. 3 days later the battery was dead and I was locked out of the car. I had to enter manually and then place on trickle charge. I actually had noticed a couple services back that the radio could be turned on without the key in the ignition. I could depress the radio button at anytime and the radio would power on. I mentioned this one time at service interval but they didn't find an issue.

I disconnect the battery overnight, to prevent a dead battery by morning. Sometimes when I reconnected the battery the issue would be gone and I can use it for a day or two without the two screens staying on.

I switched out the replacement battery thinking it may be defective, but 3 1/2 days later the two screens were lit, unreponsive and stayed on when I locked the truck.

I called LR to see if there was a simple reset procedure but they said I have to bring it in. I think it's terrible that you need to be charged $180- $300, just to operate your car after simply replacing the battery. Anyone know the fix besides bringing it in to the dealer and putting up the $$$ ?

The following users liked this post:
Kenneth Johnson (09-20-2020)
Old 11-10-2016, 07:42 PM
Winching
Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Racergirl
I have the same issue. I bought my LR in 2008 and have only serviced at land rover. Last year they informed me that I should change the battery for the winter and it wasn't necessary to have it done at the dealership. I was very impressed with the life of the first battery and replaced it with another interstate battery 2 weeks ago, looking for the same results. Battery was replaced at local auto parts store and everything seemed good. 3 days later the battery was dead and I was locked out of the car. I had to enter manually and then place on trickle charge. I actually had noticed a couple services back that the radio could be turned on without the key in the ignition. I could depress the radio button at anytime and the radio would power on. I mentioned this one time at service interval but they didn't find an issue.

I disconnect the battery overnight, to prevent a dead battery by morning. Sometimes when I reconnected the battery the issue would be gone and I can use it for a day or two without the two screens staying on.

I switched out the replacement battery thinking it may be defective, but 3 1/2 days later the two screens were lit, unreponsive and stayed on when I locked the truck.

I called LR to see if there was a simple reset procedure but they said I have to bring it in. I think it's terrible that you need to be charged $180- $300, just to operate your car after simply replacing the battery. Anyone know the fix besides bringing it in to the dealer and putting up the $$$ ?
Our trucks are software dependant unfortunately... I would try for a reflash or an upgrade. It fixed a few issues for me...

Old 11-13-2018, 01:54 PM
1st Gear
Default Range Rover Sport screen does not turn off

Hi guys - I have read all msgs and could not find the answer even though so many drivers have the same issue. Has anybody repaired the screen/logo that does not want to turn off after locking the car? I have replaced the battery as I had HDC errors and now with the new battery I have just noticed the information ''low battery'' which means sth must drain the battery (I make 2x20km every day plus 50 during weekends). As the screen/logo does not want to turn off after 2 hours from locking the car (also the radio seems to be on) I guess this makes the battery dead.

I would appreciate if anyone who managed to fix it could make an effort and drop a solution as many of us have the same/similar issues.

Land Rover Ranger Rover Sport 2008 3.6HSE.

Quick Reply: Battery Dead - Navigation Screen Stays On