LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying Fluids online

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 09:57 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying Fluids online

Does anyone know a website of store where I can order LR fluids online from. I am 3 hours from a dealer and need to change diffs and transfer case fluid. Any thoughts on using fluids from Napa? like mobil 1?

Old 10-15-2012, 10:21 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

The factory spec for differentials is Castrol SAF-XO 75W90. The spec for the electronic torque managed unit is Castrol SAF Carbon Mod Plus, no substitute. So a helpful Castrol dealer should be able to get it. Carbon fiber clutch discs or some such technical innovation require it. GM sources same fluid for a small range of vehilces. but their parts guys are lost and will make you buy four gallons, etc. , some GM owners go to Rover dealers to get it.

Old 10-15-2012, 10:53 AM
Mudding

The Differentials & transfer case take the same heavy gear oil, 85W-140. Any garden variety from your local auto parts store will do. You could probably purchase it from Wal-mart.

Disco Mike's major service write-up.

Old 10-15-2012, 12:30 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael M. Koch
The Differentials & transfer case take the same heavy gear oil, 85W-140. Any garden variety from your local auto parts store will do. You could probably purchase it from Wal-mart.

Disco Mike's major service write-up.
Not if he has the locking diff; and DM's write up is for the DII.

On the front diff (it's an open diff) use any API GL-5 rated diff fluid. I used Mobil 1 75w90 on my LR 3. See my write up my oul change thread. The heavier fluid is fine for the front.

As for the rear, find out if you have the electronic locking diff; there's an electronic motor on top of the pumpkin (I have a pic of it in my oil change thread too). It no locker, you could use a GL-5 diff fluid. If you have the locker, I would recommend the LR fluid. Maybe they could ship it to you? Or try to find the BG Ultra Guard fluid for everything. There's a thread on diff fluid here too; do a search.

Old 10-15-2012, 05:20 PM
Drifting

I just bought Amsoil 75w-90 for the 2 diffs and the transfer case. I do not have the locking rear diff. Hopefully it will quiet my whining front diff down a little bit.

Old 10-15-2012, 06:07 PM
Mudding

I got my red line heavy shock proof gear oil from jegs online $15 per quart free shipping. Have it in both diffs & t/c .

Old 10-15-2012, 09:53 PM
1st Gear
Old 10-16-2012, 07:47 AM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The BG stuff works best. Plus its the cheapest. bg findashop.com check in your area. Call the guys that do diff service and ask if they have the bottles they can sell you. Some shops have it by the barrel. Of course they might just sell you it by the barrel if you got a container as well.

Old 10-18-2012, 09:51 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For these I go straight to the dealer - I rather get the correct stuff, than try to skimp and screw something up (I have the rear diff so very important for me)

This dealer will let you order online - and is where I got mine: Land Rover Parts Center - Call (800) 574-9217 for Genuine Land Rover Parts and Accessories

Old 10-22-2012, 11:43 AM
Drifting

I looked at my front diff this weekend to change the fluid and wanted to confirm the where the drain plug is. It looks like the drain plug is sideways pointing towards the drivers side on the vehicle on the bottom of the diff is that it? Do you have to remove the large brace to access the drain plug. Please help me confirm this. Thanks in advance

Quick Reply: Buying Fluids online