LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C1A13 after new AMK installed...

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 01:15 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Found a problem, hopefully it solves the issue...
the harness was rubbed through by the left front inner fender well, due to the oversize tires
lets see what happens

Old 11-29-2016, 01:41 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 145 Likes on 127 Posts
Default had that as well

For me, it was not oversize tyres, but instead the harness has got loose relative to the frame and on sharp turns and with vertical wheel movement, the rubber worked its way thru the harness.

It was the right front if I recall correctly. In any case, the solution was repair the conductors and tie the harness tightly back to the frame on both sides.

You are making real progress - getting ahead of the curve so to speak.

Old 11-29-2016, 05:34 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by bbyer
For me, it was not oversize tyres, but instead the harness has got loose relative to the frame and on sharp turns and with vertical wheel movement, the rubber worked its way thru the harness.

It was the right front if I recall correctly. In any case, the solution was repair the conductors and tie the harness tightly back to the frame on both sides.

You are making real progress - getting ahead of the curve so to speak.
nope! Denied! Just the loom was damaged, and I can't find any fraying wires, nor can I locate the three plugs you had in the pic above. Not in the left front wheel well at least

Old 11-29-2016, 07:02 PM
Pro Wrench
Default behind the left front wheel well liner

I assume that you removed the plastic wheel well liner?

The three conductors are to the rear lower of the left front wheel just above that triangular metal frame bracket that I think one of the body donuts sits on.

Perhaps the link below will help - shows the three connectors etc and with more pictures plus lots of posts re fixing the conductors.

Sometimes the outside insulation appears OK but the wire within has corroded internally and is not there, or intermittent - that is a real challenge to find - you have to feel each conductor.

DISCO3.CO.UK - View topic - Suspension fault, front cross-link valve (SOLVED)

Attached Thumbnails C1A13 after new AMK installed...-fender-liner-rermoved-left-front-showing-three-electrical-connectors-close-up.jpg   C1A13 after new AMK installed...-fender-liner-rermoved-left-front-showing-three-electrical-connectors.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
AdrenalinPlease (11-30-2016)
Old 11-29-2016, 08:02 PM
Winching

I assume that you removed the plastic wheel well liner?

The three conductors are to the rear lower of the left front wheel just above that triangular metal frame bracket that I think one of the body donuts sits on.

Perhaps the link below will help - shows the three connectors etc and with more pictures plus lots of posts re fixing the conductors.

Sometimes the outside insulation appears OK but the wire within has corroded internally and is not there, or intermittent - that is a real challenge to find - you have to feel each conductor.

DISCO3.CO.UK - View topic - Suspension fault, front cross-link valve (SOLVED)
i took the liner almost all the way out, but I was looking towards the front and didn't see that. Will try again tomorrow, I have a good feeling that this is just a wiring issue.

Old 11-29-2016, 08:13 PM
Pro Wrench
Default Do you have have the Nav screen with the 4x4 info?

Do you have the NAV screen with the 4x4 info display?

If so, sometimes one can check the operation of the wheel height sensors and wiring to each by watching the 4x4 info screen that display wheel movement up and down.

With the engine running and at normal height, one mounts a curb perhaps 6" high, one wheel at a time and then backs off.

If all was good, one would see a slight up and down wheel movement depicted on the screen for the respective wheels. If you see that for each wheel, one at a time, then probably the wheel height sensors and wiring to the sensors is OK.

I guess I am concerned re the one front wheel where you thought there was cable damage - if there was some sort of squeezing on the cable exterior, there could be conductor damage. Land Rover effectively used Cat 5 conductor, (really thin copper wires), for the signal conductors to the wheel height sensors. Yes, I know the 3 is a mobile computer but rarely is a computer dragged thru the mud etc but LR did not think of that when designing the computer bits.

Old 11-29-2016, 09:13 PM
Winching

Do you have the NAV screen with the 4x4 info display?

If so, sometimes one can check the operation of the wheel height sensors and wiring to each by watching the 4x4 info screen that display wheel movement up and down.

With the engine running and at normal height, one mounts a curb perhaps 6" high, one wheel at a time and then backs off.

If all was good, one would see a slight up and down wheel movement depicted on the screen for the respective wheels. If you see that for each wheel, one at a time, then probably the wheel height sensors and wiring to the sensors is OK.

I guess I am concerned re the one front wheel where you thought there was cable damage - if there was some sort of squeezing on the cable exterior, there could be conductor damage. Land Rover effectively used Cat 5 conductor, (really thin copper wires), for the signal conductors to the wheel height sensors. Yes, I know the 3 is a mobile computer but rarely is a computer dragged thru the mud etc but LR did not think of that when designing the computer bits.
I don't have the nav screen but I have a snap on solus which can read the sensor live data and all the sensors operate without issue. I will take the liner back out tomorrow and check the wiring by the plugs you pointed out.

Old 11-30-2016, 11:26 AM
Winching
Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by AdrenalinPlease
The compressor ran for a couple of minutes for sure. It still isn't running correctly and immediately sets the yellow suspension light as soon as I touch the height switch throwing the C1A13 code...hopefully the software update fixes that.

I was having the yellow light at least once every day until the software update....hasn't come back since.

Old 11-30-2016, 06:18 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by EastCoast
I was having the yellow light at least once every day until the software update....hasn't come back since.
It's not just the yellow light, it won't change height at all. And then sets a red light while driving. Also will not exhaust from gallery.

Bbyer, I can't find the plugs in your photo, they aren't there. Inner fender well
Inner gender well
Behind left side headlight
Above left side headlight

Old 11-30-2016, 06:40 PM
Pro Wrench
Default triangle bracket is not there either

My 3 is a 2005; yours is a 2008?

It looks like the wiring harness changed since 2005. I also see the triangle bracket is gone - bolt holes are there but not the bracket.

I presume you followed the cable back and there are no connectors anywhere easy to see at any rate.

If so, that is probably for the better as those connectors were a trouble spot.

I think I am out of ideas as to where best to look for any cable damage then.

Generally the 2008 three was to my mind, the best built; in 2009 they started to try out proposed 2010 LR4 systems; not all worked well the first try.

Quick Reply: C1A13 after new AMK installed...