LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clunk When Turning from Stop

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2021, 03:54 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Clunk When Turning from Stop

Just last week I noticed a low volume “clunk” from the vehicle front when slowly turning out of my drive from park. Not an aggressive noise or jarring, almost like a set of hubs locking. I’d never noticed it before (only had the vehicle 1500 miles) and did not notice it again until yesterday when it happened while pulling away from a drive thru, and again when backing into a parking stall. It seems to be related to low speed maneuvers (turns) and is subtle enough my front passenger did not notice it until I asked them if they could hear it. It can happen after going from P to D, but I’ve noticed it when sitting at a stop for a duration and then turning after not changing drive mode (sitting at a drive thru or waiting for my wife to unload a child before parking). I’m not able to consistently replicate the noise, but I can create it occasionally.

Background info:
  • Small leak noted at the transfer case, inconclusive if related.
  • Inspected the CV boots, they are clean —no tears, also no play. Noise is a single clunk, not multiples like a CV joint
  • Clunk does not happen upon hard braking, or normal acceleration in a straight line —seems like it’s not control arms. Inspection of control arms shows they are fine.
  • No noise over bumps —inconclusively rules out sway bar bushing and links. I’ve checked front and rear, they look OK.

Vehicle is 2008 LR3 with HD package. Otherwise stock, service history is extensive/clean, no mention of issues with engine or transmission. Rear Diff locking motor was replaced in 2018.

Last edited by SeattleDriver; 06-03-2021 at 10:10 PM.
Old 06-01-2021, 10:59 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 455 Likes on 406 Posts

I would have guessed rear diff locking motor when you stated HD package but having changed it in 2018 sort of rules that out. Drive shaft carrier bearing maybe?
Got any pics of this new-to-you LR3? Sounds pretty nice/rare being an '08 HD. What color is it?

Old 06-02-2021, 12:13 AM
Rock Crawling

Zermatt Silver. Here’s a photo of it on the trail this weekend while hunting for morels. (not sure why it’s upside down, I’ve uploaded and then rotated and uploaded and get the same thing).

I’ve found a reference to a similar noise (single clunk while turning) occurring from a stiff steering u-joint that is binding. Might try to investigate that, though still interested in other suggestions.

Update:

1) Steering rack and tie rods check out as fine.

2)Found an LR4 owner in UK with identical symptoms. The issue was cleared up with a transfer case fluid flush and calibration. Will try that.

Attached Thumbnails Clunk When Turning from Stop-6ef216e3-dfd6-4c3f-84b9-0aac69c72005.jpeg  

Last edited by SeattleDriver; 06-03-2021 at 10:14 PM. Reason: Updating known information
The following users liked this post:
houm_wa (06-02-2021)
Old 06-06-2021, 04:33 PM
Overlanding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

SeattleDriver,

I think I had the same issue as you on my 2006 LR3. It ended up being loose bolts on the control arm connections. I'd check that out if you haven't already. Super easy fix.

Hopefully this helps.

Old 06-06-2021, 05:28 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by bwLR06
SeattleDriver,

I think I had the same issue as you on my 2006 LR3. It ended up being loose bolts on the control arm connections. I'd check that out if you haven't already. Super easy fix.

Hopefully this helps.
Interesting thought. The bushings themselves inspected OK, but verifying torques on bolts is another easy check.

I did a transfer case drain and fill based on a suggestion of an LR4 owner with identical symptoms. The old fluid measured at 1500mL (matches spec), so the leak is/was very minor. I verified the breather tube is free, now I know the case is not building pressure and causing the leak at the seals.

After refilling (required me jacking DS corner up for last 100mL) I drove the car a few miles and things seem better. I’ll do some casual driving this week and decide if I should do another drain/fill or if it is resolved. The person I got this solution from needed to do the drain/fill twice to fully resolve. They also recalibrated the TCCM, but I’d be surprised if this is necessary for a simple drain/fill. I’ve read A LOT of instructionals, including the LR shop manual, and none mention recalibration for the control module. I noticed after my drive and letting it sit overnight there is no trace of a fluid leak —no drips on the ground and nothing hanging from the transfer case.

Old 06-16-2021, 11:23 PM
Rock Crawling

I noticed the issue again tonight but under stricter conditions and was able to come up with a new way to describe what I was noticing. That led me to this thread, which ultimately solved their problem with recalibrating the transfer case control module (TCCM). Considering this aligned with the fix I had previously discovered but failed to complete due to my own skepticism, I decided to give it a try.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr...rowling-90900/

I used the GAP IID tool to recalibrate both the transfer case clutch and position sensor. This was pretty straight forward and things do seem improved. I noticed no symptoms during my test drive and will evaluate with a further test drive tomorrow.

The one person I found on the Disco3.UK forum said they had to drain/refill fluid and calibrate TWICE to fully resolve. I’ll report back if I need to do it again.

On a high note, I can confirm my “leak” is resolved after swapping fluids. No drips on the ground, no drips lingering on the seals or low bolts. I’m not certain how that could be, I only have theories, but I’ll take the win.

Update 5/2022: The clutch recalibration did resolve the issue. About a month later I noticed it occur once more, so I immediately did a second fluid change and clutch calibration. After a year and 5000 miles this has not returned.

Last edited by SeattleDriver; 05-04-2022 at 09:01 PM. Reason: Updating diagnosis