LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Condensation/moisture amongst other things

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2023, 10:35 AM
Mudding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Condensation/moisture amongst other things

General question -

I seem to have a lot of condensation building up on the inside of my LR3 - this is a my "other one" which is a bit of a project and has sat on the driveway for months.

The other day, i opened it up and saw a fair amount of white mold growing towards the back..gross...however, I've tried to address many issues to do with leaking as i can (the usual places - sunroof, a-pilar, cabin filter etc). So either it is damp in there and continues to be damp from an unknown location or i have other issues. Currently, have some damp-rid containers in there. I was thinking of getting and throwing in a stor-dry unit to have a constant supply of circulated warm air. To be fair i did have the door seals off for quite a while, so it could be a buildup over moisture over time...

Any thoughts?

Old 02-22-2023, 02:50 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 108 Likes on 92 Posts

Besides all the areas you already mentioned (knock those out 1 by 1)

Check under your front passenger carpet too - It could be very wet there, contributing to the higher humidity
So wet in fact, that the saturated pad and standing water may not be affected much by the damp-rid

Gotta pull em back, squeeze out, use towels, keep them pulled back for air circulation

Old 02-22-2023, 03:58 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

It can be pretty easy to get moisture problems in a car in the winter, even with no leaks. Here’s an easy scenario: drive your car and get the cabin warm, get a lot of moisture in the air from breathing, then park it outside for a few weeks during the holidays. That moist air will condense on horizontal surfaces and when you come back 4 weeks later there will be mildew. This is really common in my area during the winter, especially on cars that don’t see frequent use.

To prevent, drive it once a week for a good 20 mile trip and allow the HVAC to bring in fresh air or drive yourself mad running dehumidifiers and changing out desiccant filters.