LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant expansion tank full

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2019, 12:50 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Coolant expansion tank full

Hi group.
Long story short,I came back yesterday from off road event with no engine issues or overheating. This morning before my PT I opened the hood as a my usual precaution after such event and found that my expansion tank is full of coolant almost all the way to the cap, slightly higher that small hose that is attached ti brackets over radiator that runs to upper part of plastic tank. I have started the LR 3 for a minute it was running fine when card but since I did nat wanted to drive it with unknown cause even 3 miles I have decided to take my bike instead to my Physical Therapy session.
Has anybody ever came across such rise in coolant in expansion tank ? I did not have such problem before nor I was adding any coolant, also checking the level every couple of days for the last few years. I have always kept it at max. level. What do you guys think ? Blockage somewhere

?

Old 06-25-2019, 12:01 AM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

My best guess is a leak that is allowing air in/increasing volume.

Old 06-25-2019, 06:46 AM
Rock Crawling

Thanks Abran.
I ran the engine on the driveway up to normal temperature yesterday with expansion tank cap off, hoping that it will suck the coolant back it when I shot the engine off but it did not. I am not sure where the leak could be. All the hoses were equally hot meaning that there is a coolant circulation. I did not check a rear lines as I have those too, leading to a AUX. heating control unit in the back. One of the rubber lines that runs on the right side to fire wall as double unit and splits coolant to the rear as well was chafing slightly against the engine cover, but I did not see any visible damage to the line itself.
Is it possible to patch a rubber coolant line if necessary instead or replacing the whole thing ? I am not saying that is the case here but just wanted ti know if it is possible.

Old 06-25-2019, 11:50 AM
Baja

I would not trust a patch.

Are you sure a Leprechaun that meant well didn't happen to top off your tank while you were sleeping?

Barring the Leprechaun theory, You should try a pressure test and see what you get. Admittedly, I'm stumped. But air in the system or a leak in the head gasket are my only guesses.

Old 06-25-2019, 02:54 PM
Rock Crawling

Wouldn't head gasket cause a white smoke when started until coolant burns out ?
I drove LR3 this morning for 4 miles to my Physical Therapy session and it did not overheat not sucked the excess fluid into the system.At home I opened the bleeder screw on the reservoir and ran the engine for a while, bit honestly I did not see any bubbles coming out and again, excessive fluid did not get sucked into the system.
I am stumped as well.I really don't know how to do a pressure test. Any affordable diagnostic tools available from HF ?
Would;d faulty thermostat cause that ?

Last edited by thorgal; 06-25-2019 at 03:17 PM.
Old 06-25-2019, 03:19 PM
Baja
Old 06-25-2019, 10:03 PM
Rock Crawling

Thanks Abran !

Old 02-17-2023, 02:02 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help

Originally Posted by thorgal
Hi group.
Long story short,I came back yesterday from off road event with no engine issues or overheating. This morning before my PT I opened the hood as a my usual precaution after such event and found that my expansion tank is full of coolant almost all the way to the cap, slightly higher that small hose that is attached ti brackets over radiator that runs to upper part of plastic tank. I have started the LR 3 for a minute it was running fine when card but since I did nat wanted to drive it with unknown cause even 3 miles I have decided to take my bike instead to my Physical Therapy session.
Has anybody ever came across such rise in coolant in expansion tank ? I did not have such problem before nor I was adding any coolant, also checking the level every couple of days for the last few years. I have always kept it at max. level. What do you guys think ? Blockage somewhere

?
Originally Posted by abran
I would not trust a patch.

Are you sure a Leprechaun that meant well didn't happen to top off your tank while you were sleeping?

Barring the Leprechaun theory, You should try a pressure test and see what you get. Admittedly, I'm stumped. But air in the system or a leak in the head gasket are my only guesses.
Hi diyou get this sorted as my disco4 has just done the same today cheers