LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Couple of very minor issues when all else is working perfectly

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 07:36 AM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by drew888
Your truck looks great. I see something else to address. My headlights needs to be polished. I should receive Xpel headlight covers today. Once satisfied that they look good again I'll immediately cover them.

Your roof is painted or is that an overlay? That's an excellent idea to no longer worry about what you can't see and to guarantee it stays that way.
Thanks for the compliments!
One thing people don't usually know is you can polish and wax your headlights. Mine was really only faded on the top edge that is on a horizontal surface. I use Griot's Garage car polishing compound #3 or start with #2 if they're bad then use #3. Then wax them to protect them.

I have the whole Griot's kit (excellent products by the way) with orbital polisher but I just use NuFinish (Orange bottle) for wax...well it's technically polish. You basically swirl on, let it haze and wipe off. You don't kill your forearm having to rub like crazy. The feel and shine afterwards is amazing. My favorite part living in Florida...you can apply in sunshine. No other wax I've tried has that flexibility.

Claybar is a very important step before waxing. It's so easy to do and makes a big difference. If you run your hand across your paint and feel grit, that's oxidation or other junk that you can't see. A water/soap mixture in a spray bottle to allow the clay to glide and you'd be surprised how smooth it feels.

Sorry for the tangent. It may sound like I spend a lot of time detailing my car, but I really don't. I do at first getting it clay barred, polished in areas that are needed, then waxed but after that it maintains easily. When it rains, the dirt washes away and looks like it's been washed. If only I could eliminate the brake dust on my wheels....

I wondered if anyone would notice the roof. That is a vinyl wrap using 3M ControlTac with air release. I used to own a sign company and did a lot of wrapping. The roofs always get a lot of abuse in Florida and I wanted to protect it and make washing easier.

This is the look I was going for:

We don't have the same lines as the RR, so it did not turn out quite like I was envisioning. The white above the doors and the tall back cargo area throw it off, so I'm thinking about wrapping those when I have time. I will be wrapping the top back section of the hatch as well, but I had to do some paint repair from flaking first. If I take vinyl in a straight line from the top of the driver door glass all the way back, it MAY be more of the RR black roof on white look. I'll Photoshop it and maybe post it here to get everyone's opinion. But it's protecting the paint so I feel good about it up there.

Next project after changing all my fluids this week...plastidipping my rims gloss gunmetal metallic.

Old 03-23-2015, 03:19 PM
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I feel like I have to first get it to a state I'm comfortable with before I consider any other modding. Cleaning/protecting/maintaining is top priority.

I'm eagerly looking forward to the results!

Drew