LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Tank Recall, Please Help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2019, 08:57 AM
Mudding
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Fuel Tank Recall, Please Help!

I'm trying to get my head wrapped around the fuel tank in my '06 LR3 as it needs a fuel pump and I'm not sure which one to order from AB. I couldn't possibly be more confused RE the fuel tank recall or updated vs. non-updated fuel tank.

Here's what I know so far:
-There was a recall for fuel tanks in '05 LR3s as there was a venting issue, not sure if this extended into the '06 model year
-AB sells two fuel pumps for '05-'09 LR3s:
-One which "fits v6 and v8 with old style fuel tank- not upgraded yet"
-One which "will fit only LR3's with updated fuel tank from LR"
-RockAuto sells two types of fuel pump, both under the '06 specifically:
-One for "Fuel Tank with 3 Vent Pipes(Exc.Vehicles w/ 2010 Model Year Fuel Tank Retrofit)"
-One for "Vehicles w/ 2010 Model Year Fuel Tank Retrofit; Fuel Tank w/ 2 Vent Pipes"
(Not sure how this 2010 model year fuel tank retrofit fits into the mix between the two AB pumps)
-According to my local LR dealership, my fuel tank was NOT recalled, and thus is the original fuel tank.
-According to a local ex-LR mechanic with access to their VIN database, I "have had my tank replaced before," thus I assume I need the AB pump for the updated fuel tank, contradictory to what the dealership said.
-According to the LR dealership where the car used to be serviced (different from my local one), they can't see if the tank was replaced or not and would need me to bring the truck in for a diagnostic to know for sure.
-The NHTSA website shows no open or completed recalls for my vehicle.

Why does this all matter? Because the dealer quoted me $1200 plus tax to replace the fuel pump, and I'm not about that life.

Can anyone make sense of this? I'm sure someone on here knows exactly the difference between all of these tanks and pumps and which years should have which tank, etc. Also, I'm the third owner of my LR3, the PO bought the truck in 2013 and never had any fuel tank replacement done, and the first owner likely would have only had the fuel tank replaced if it was an official recall. Is there a way to get under the truck and see if I have the updated tank without dropping it?

Help!

Old 02-22-2019, 11:43 AM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

The updated would probably only be in your vehicle if it was replaced before. It has an opening for the infamous front level sender which allows you to replace it without losing your arm.

If you had to pick without dropping the tank to confirm, I would go with the old style.

Old 02-22-2019, 02:42 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by abran
The updated would probably only be in your vehicle if it was replaced before. It has an opening for the infamous front level sender which allows you to replace it without losing your arm.

If you had to pick without dropping the tank to confirm, I would go with the old style.
Thank you. Have you done a fuel pump on one of these? It looks like it's a bear...

Old 02-22-2019, 03:39 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

perhaps an easier route, go to a wrecking yard, find a used tank with fuel pump, get a warranty and replace the whole thing. At least you will know what you have. Phil

Old 02-23-2019, 10:51 AM
Mudding
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Just a word of caution on the wrecking yard fuel tanks. Most yards punch a hole in the bottom of the tank to drain the fuel out before it goes in the yard. Ask before you go.
I think I've asked before... has anyone just replaced the electric pump assembly itself without the housing? It's a Walbro brand. It's gotta cross with something.

Old 02-23-2019, 11:45 AM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

I have done the pump, not had. Just need to drop the tank. The front level sender is the hard one.

Old 02-25-2019, 01:17 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by abran
I have done the pump, not had. Just need to drop the tank. The front level sender is the hard one.
Brill, thank you! Does anyone know if the LR3 will throw a code for low fuel pressure? If so, I haven't seen any... Does the computer even measure fuel pressure?

Old 02-25-2019, 02:18 PM
Geo
Rock Crawling
Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

I replaced my pump as it was stalling and really hard to start especially with less than 1/2 tank. No codes on mine. I checked fuel pressure at the rail and noticed it took several key cycles to get up to spec.
i bought a whole assembly from a low mileage lr3 on eBay. Make sure you get the right one. Tab that holds the Fuel level float easily breaks. With all of the fuel lines and wires, it’s a pain....be careful/gentle. Getting tank down isn’t too hard.
Oh, and getting the quick release fuel lines off of the cover will result in broken parts that are not sold separately unless you are very lucky or careful, or both!
If you can get a whole tank, I would just do that!

https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr...op-tank-91185/

Last edited by Geo; 02-25-2019 at 02:21 PM.
Old 08-08-2020, 11:06 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,119 Likes on 601 Posts

I had an 05 LR3 HSE under warranty, and it had the fuel tank recall/replacement. I think there was even a stop sale on them for awhile over this. It was a load of laughs at the time with the Land Rover dealer in Huntsville that was working on the truck. BTW - I am pretty sure 06 models did not have a recall/replacement campaign for the fuel tank.

Old 11-13-2022, 10:29 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I realize that this is an old thread, but I just went through the whole tank/vehicle identification issue and found this TSB helpful to understand the range and vehicles effected by the recall. My 2006 MY LR3 was not included in the recall as it was made well after the problem had been identified and corrected.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
LR3 2010 Recall TB.pdf (48.2 KB, 66 views)