LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Guy saying Altlantic British Transmision pan kits destroy tranny

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 11:40 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Guy saying Altlantic British Transmision pan kits destroy tranny

I'm not sure I buy what he is saying. Here is a quote from his Amazon review.
"

<i>stars</i> stars
This will destroy your transmission! This will destroy your transmission!
Terrible service from British Atlantic. Staff is completely ignorant of Range Rovers, their parts and service. (I'm referring to you Dave) I was told I would have to remove the crossmember and exhaust to service my transmission unless I purchased their product. This was completely untrue. (I made sure to take a video.) Additionally, the steel pan they claim is better than the stock composite pan has some huge issues. 1) It has no cooling fins, this will cause higher operating temps and premature wear. 2) The pan is painted, after exposure to petroleum (trans fluid) the paint can start to degrade, plug your filter and starve your transmission. 3) Filter is half the size of the stock unit, need I say more? Bottom line, don't waste your time with these arrogant people who have no real knowledge of what their talking about. It could cost you your vehicle."

The LR3/LR4 has a tranny cooler up front so the fins on the old plastic one did not really do much in terms of cooling.

Anyone see the paint coming off their AB metal pan on inspection or changes?

Old 05-24-2018, 04:48 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 215 Likes on 189 Posts

Synthetic ATF is not petroleum for a start, pan probably shouldn't be painted internally i would think. The so called fins would do FA when there is a proper cooler in the fluid system, auto filters really only filter out the larger particles not like an engine oil filter.

Old 05-24-2018, 08:31 AM
Baja
Received 718 Likes on 623 Posts

On a full size Range Rover, the exhaust and cross member don’t need to be removed. That is what he is talking about there.

ZF makes these pans and they are the same physical shape and painted on the inside.