LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ham Radio Installation in 2007 LR3

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 08:48 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

No need for that, I sent you an e-mail.

Old 08-13-2014, 06:22 PM
Winching
Received 115 Likes on 104 Posts

UPDATE:

Well once again I start in on a project and forget the camera. Considering the best place for antenna efficiency,ease of use, and wanting to avoid the tail gate area and in my case the size and bulk of the antenna. I decided to place the antenna on the front bumper. well that came with a whole set of physical problems. First the distance from the grill to the outside (front) of the bumper is very limited. I had planned on mounting it just inside of the sedge of the grill, but considering the space needed for the antenna and the space inside the cover and in front of the metal bumper I had to move it toward the middle about 4 inches.

Photo attached:

I have been driving around town for a few days and do see a need to do some RF bonding. The electrical noise from the car is not noticeable with the noise blanker on the IC-7000, but there is a general noise level that is higher than it was in my Titan pickup.Placement of about 10 one inches straps from the frame to the body, the frame to the exhaust pipes, and the hood to the body should cure alot of the noise. I will do this in the next few months as time permits.

Attached Thumbnails Ham Radio Installation in 2007 LR3-img_20140813_160508.jpg  
Old 08-22-2014, 06:23 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

I haven't noticed any significant noise issues. I did use copious ferrite beads and ground straps. I did not do any frame bonding, or any of that. You are going to get "some" no matter what, but it should not be significant.

One thing to consider is where you are getting your power. I power from a 2nd battery, not the primary battery, so filtering the power leads may also be necessary.

Old 08-23-2014, 04:58 PM
Winching

I was planning on a second battery, but that was delayed with the new rear diff. Again, Thanks for that.
Hopefully next summer I will get the second battery and then see what else I need. One concern was temp of the antenna so near the grill and radiator, but as they say, "we shall see"

I have it under the middle seat of the middle row, but when I removed the right rear interior panel I was wondering if there was enough room to move the main box behind that near the telephone unit.

Next time I remove the panel, I promise to take pictures and measurements so can properly document the cell phone amp install

Old 09-14-2014, 01:57 PM
Winching

UPDATE:

I have moved the radio unit itself to a place behind the right rear trim panel. I also moved the VHF antenna to the left side of the hood.

Fist the main unit. After removing the trim panel as outlined in the manual, I had this...
https://landroverforums.com/forum/at...3-img_1623-jpg

I removed the satellite radio unit from the frame, removed the Wilson cell phone booster I had previously mounted in the frame. I found that once I removed the rubber feet and small bracket on the Icom IC-7000 main unit, it would slip into the frame for the satellite radio just perfectly. I wedged a small piece of foam in there to make sure it did not rattle. I removed the top of the trim panel and did a test fit ( with the top removed, I could see where I had room to mount the smaller satellite radio and cell phone booster). I found there was 2 inched between the frame holding the radio and the trim panel, so I mounted the satellite radio on the outside of the frame and used plastic tie wraps to secure the cell phone booster and all of the other wires.

I placed a number 31 ferrite clap on bead on the the mike cable, VHF/UHF and HF coax and the antenna tuner control cables. I tie wrapped them to the existing wire bundle and the end result before I replaced the trim panel looked like this:
https://landroverforums.com/forum/at...3-img_1631-jpg

I now have the radio unit out of the way from passengers kicking the wires or the dogs getting it dirty when the seats are folded down and all of the wires are concealed.

I does not look like it, but moving the radio unit from under the middle seat to behind the trim panel took me more than 7 hours. I had to re-route all of the cables to the new location which meant pulling out all of the wires back to the main hole in the fire wall and re-routing everything under the dash then along the right side door thresholds then up behind the trim panel.

You can't see that any work was done, but like most projects on the LR3, I feel good knowing I did it, and it is a better installation once it was moved.

Attached Thumbnails Ham Radio Installation in 2007 LR3-img_1623.jpg   Ham Radio Installation in 2007 LR3-img_1631.jpg  

Last edited by Rufflyer; 09-14-2014 at 02:01 PM.