LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hill descent control

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 07:15 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question hill descent control

Hello everybody,

I am new to this forum, and i would appreciate the help i could get.

my wife owns a 2006 lr3 with 59k on it, and recently i took it for a spin just to notice that HDC does not work (no fault or warning message) I press the switch and it simply won't work. I tried to put it on MUD ruts program , and the green indicator of HDC went on, but still when I press the switch it does not keep the car at desired speed.

thank you

Old 01-07-2012, 07:40 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I cannot not speak for the LR3, so this may be of little use, but on the Discovery 2 model you have to have the transfer case in Low Range before the HDC will work. I am not sure if the Mud/Ruts auto-driving program does this for you on the LR3 or not. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will jump in and give you some more LR3 definitive help.

Old 01-08-2012, 09:12 AM
5th Gear

further reading in the manual states that I should get a message on the control center if I do not have the right gear selection to engage HDC. It also states that I can use HDC on low OR high range as long as I choose D or 1 in High range. I am doubting the switch itself!!!!! any further insight?

thanks

Old 01-08-2012, 12:31 PM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

when the indicator is green that means its working. it doesn't work until you drive down the hill at that point it will activate to keep you at a certain speed. plus, you need to take your foot off the brake or it won't work. pressing the brake switch disables it when you go down a hill.

Old 01-09-2012, 08:28 AM
5th Gear

I totally agree. The problem is that I cannot get the green light by pressing the switch, so I use the mud program as a backdoor to get it to work. That's exactly why I am supecting the switch

Old 02-23-2012, 07:49 AM
5th Gear
Default solved

Thought I should post an update hoping it might help somebody.

Few weeks after the initial post, I started getting Transmission Fault, Suspension lowered and HDC fault. The problem was intermittent so I did not give it much taught until last monday when the error became persistent.
Read through forums and tried many things, until I finally discovered corroded wires running from the Central console terrain response unit, under the passenger seat, , in the passenger's foot well and going into the fuse box.

cleaned the wires and reconnected them and now it runs like a charm.
On a side note, the carpet on the passenger side was wet. I live in Canada, and we tend to get snow in the foot well whenever we enter the vehicule. The snow melts, and the carpet absorbs the water leaving substantial amounts of water accumulated under the carpet.
As long as we had freezing temperatures, the problem was intermittent because Ice is not a good conductor, but once the temperatures got better and the icy water below the carpet melted, Those wires were constantly submerged causing the faults.
I would be happy to help anybody with similar problem pinpoint the exact location of the corroded wires.

Old 02-23-2012, 08:05 AM
5th Gear
Default pictures

some pictures of the faulty wires

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
lr3.pdf (1.53 MB, 520 views)
Old 02-11-2020, 04:00 PM
Drifting
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi, I know your post was from a while back but I have the same exact issue. Can you tell me which color combination wire in the photo you uploaded was the one causing the malfunction? I ask to save time in tracing the correct wires if you remember which ones they were. Thanks in advance.