LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How will I know that I need a Wheel Alignment?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2020, 09:35 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default How will I know that I need a Wheel Alignment?

When a new set of tires are fit..does the car usually need a wheel alignment?
In the mean time with older tires how would I know I need a wheel alignment?
Does any decent "Tire Shop" normally do LR3 as in the old days it was
an issue with some as the Suspension had to be locked before doing it.
Thank You

Old 08-01-2020, 08:57 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 717 Likes on 603 Posts

Tires change alone does not require an alignment. Most places that I have been to do not charge just to check aliment and if you have a tire claim, having shown alignment was correct is nice to have. If your tires were not wearing evenly then that means you need an alignment or the new tires will end up with the same uneven wear.

You will have to call around. When doing an alignment on the LR3 is should be set to tight tolerance mode. Either you have to have the tools to do it or they need them. You also want a healthy air ride system that will not leak down while they are doing the work, it will just keep throwing the results out of spec and **** the tech off.

The following users liked this post:
Athana (08-02-2020)
Old 08-02-2020, 01:07 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by DakotaTravler
Tires change alone does not require an alignment. Most places that I have been to do not charge just to check aliment and if you have a tire claim, having shown alignment was correct is nice to have. If your tires were not wearing evenly then that means you need an alignment or the new tires will end up with the same uneven wear.

You will have to call around. When doing an alignment on the LR3 is should be set to tight tolerance mode. Either you have to have the tools to do it or they need them. You also want a healthy air ride system that will not leak down while they are doing the work, it will just keep throwing the results out of spec and **** the tech off.
The new mechanic who changed our hoses and stopped coolant leak says the next thing to go is the rear Air Struts..one is leaking.
I'm going to ask him to get the Delphi ones from Atlantic British..I hope they are on sale still.So no wheel alignment until those are replaced.

Last edited by Athana; 08-02-2020 at 01:19 PM.
Old 08-02-2020, 07:17 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 717 Likes on 603 Posts

How do you know it's leaking. When air struts themselves leak they generally make a loud hiss when the vehicle is bounced. This is because the rubber bladder folds onto itself and the leak is worst at the physical bend of the rubber. If there is no hiss and the leak appears slow, its probably a valve block. Generally front struts go before the rears.

Old 08-04-2020, 10:22 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Back to the original question. If old tyres show abnormal wear then wheel alignment is required, just make sure it is a "four wheel alignment" and not just the fronts.

Old 08-05-2020, 11:55 AM
Rock Crawling

Perfect I will confirm that it is a Four Wheel Alighnment...How about road noise ?
When we go fast Im hearing increase of road noise. ?

Old 08-05-2020, 11:59 AM
Rock Crawling

Hi..Mechanic said he noticed the rear air suspension is losing pressure..
My wife asked should we change it now he said no..not right now but get ready.
How will I know....answer bumps will feel hard and the drivers side will go down and you'll get a light.

Old 08-05-2020, 05:32 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Get system up to normal height, then pull fuse 26 and see if one corner goes down after a couple of hours. If so you have a leak on that corner but it may not necessarily be the air bag. You would need to check with a spray of soapy water around the airline and the bag.