LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HOWTO: LR3 Seat cushion cover swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2022, 12:19 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

What a great idea! I just did this on mine. It looks almost brand new.

My passenger air bag “off” warning light was on full time after swapping cushions. My Autel MS906BT was able to recalibrate it back to normal. I would imagine the Gap can also do this.

Old 08-15-2022, 10:56 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by P-Bod
What a great idea! I just did this on mine. It looks almost brand new.

My passenger air bag “off” warning light was on full time after swapping cushions. My Autel MS906BT was able to recalibrate it back to normal. I would imagine the Gap can also do this.

where did you get your seat leather?
Any other issues you encountered?

Old 08-16-2022, 05:17 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

I didn’t buy new seat leather. I swapped the passenger seat cushion foam/leather assembly with driver’s side.

I was able to get to the 4 T-40 torx bolts on each seat pan without removing the whole seat. The passenger side required me to recline the seat back in order to gain a little more clearance for the occupancy sensor.

The seat heater wiring connector is a little tricky. I pulled and slipped the whole large seat wiring junction connector off of its mounting tab to more easily access the heater connector. The locking tab stays at the junction, not the heater side. That will make more sense when you put eyes on it.

Don’t forget to cut the foam nub off of the driver’s side foam pad as mentioned above.

Old 03-15-2023, 04:47 PM
Drifting
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I've done this three times, once with just the covers and twice with a whole new seat cushion. The seat cover is held on by a bunch of plastic clips all around the edge. If your seat warmers aren't working, take the cover off when the cushion is removed and check for breaks in the heating element. Most issues are on the lower seat because we crush it when sitting. Look for breaks in the flat metal circuit. If you find any, the ends of these breaks can be re-soldered with a short bit of primary automotive wire to get your heat warmer working again.

One more tip, you can buy peel-and-stick faux leather vinyl in black on amazon to use as a cover or as a protector for less than $15 US. Just cut the material to the general shape of the seat leather (less a few mm for the stitches), peel the back off, stick it on, then hit it with a heat gun to activate the adhesive. This stuff lasts a couple of years and will either cover up a minor rip or protect your older seats from developing a rip in the first place. The same material makes a great cover for the dash to hide those cracks and if you're OCD about it you can use 3M knifeless tape to cut out an insert for the airbags on the passenger side that will be virtually invisible. The color isn't exact, but neither are my leathers at this stage of their life lol.

Old 04-06-2023, 10:15 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is something I might end up doing if mine ends up wearing much further on the drivers’ side… I will admit I am relieved this isn’t like my Subaru where you had to use a heat gun to take the seat apart and then glue the new seat bottom in place…

Old 12-02-2023, 08:28 AM
Mudding
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

My drivers seat cushion / base of seat (i think I have isolated to the base) seems to move a fraction forward when I stop and a fraction back again when I brake. I can't make it move without me sitting in and driving. Does anyone have any ideas where there might be a loose or worn fitting or what the problem could be? I am going to work on taking out the seat today but am not sure I'll even be able to source the problem that easily. TIA.