LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for LR3 4.0 L V6 Master rebuild kit

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2019, 02:51 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for LR3 4.0 L V6 Master rebuild kit

Hello all,

Setting myself up for my summer project.

Does anyone know a good source for a master engine rebuild kit for a 2006 LR3 4.0L V6?

Also has anyone come across any good manuals or articles for a full engine rebuild?
I have rebuilt way to many motorcycle engines and a few small block chevy's and fords.
So mainly looking for LR specific items to watch out / be prepared for.

Thank you
Scott

Old 02-14-2019, 10:55 PM
Geo
Rock Crawling
Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Well, it is a Ford Cologne block, so I would imagine nearly all of the bearings, gaskets etc would be the same. I do recall that there are two knock sensors instead of one. Crank position sensor is different. I always wondered if the piston compression was higher on the LR. But the Ford kit should be cheap (Explorer).
please update the thread if you don anything.

Old 02-16-2019, 08:59 PM
Mudding
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

X2 on Geo's comments... I also read somewhere that compression was slightly higher on the Land Rover 4.0L SOHC engine. Not sure how they achieved that, pistons or head gaskets. The differences I saw when I had mine out for the timing cassettes and guides were basically external items noted below:
Intake manifold
Valve covers
Exhaust manifolds
An oil temperature sensor (haven't seen these on the Explorers I've looked at)
Coils (LR are individual, where the Explorers are a coil pack
Thermostat housing
No crank position sensor at the balancer as the Explorer, it's on the transmission bellhousing, driver (LHD) side 11 o'clock position.
Trans flex plate has the "windows" for the crank position sensor.
There is a flexplate adapter to the crankshaft. I do not know if this is different from the Explorer. They do use one, but couldn't tell if they were different. I damaged my original one to where I couldn't get the I.D. where the torque convert pilot slips into it. I found a Sonnax adapter but there is about a .020" larger pilot hole than the diameter of the pilot stub on the converter. Of course the converter is a "Bosch" manufactured unit for the ZF trans... nothing like an Explorer. I could not find a part number or dimensions anywhere for an OEM Land Rover adapter. If somebody knows of a part number or if they are in fact different... please let me know.
I replaced the oil pump and pickup tube with off the shelf 4.0L SOHC parts from TascaParts.com
I can't think of anything else other than the egr, alternator are different of course.

There is a four part series on replacing the cam chains, guides and tensioners on youtube by fordtechmakuloco. Very in depth, step by step. I went with OEM parts, not the cheap eBay kits. It's a big job you don't want to have to redo to save a few bucks.

One question I have for you... Are you sure you want to rebuild it yourself? I understand there may be minor cost savings and the knowledge that you know how things were machined and assembled, but I would lean heavily towards purchasing a re-manufactured engine from a reputable source with a warranty. Just my .02

Old 03-20-2019, 03:10 PM
Overlanding

Thanks to both of you, great information.. Sorry for delay getting back (and noticing this) I got busy doing CAM and lifters in my buddies 2012 RAM Hemi... it was good fun (Lifter seized and took out CAM) ..... To your point I may go to a rebuild but I like spending time in the Garage tinkering VS inside the house painting and stuff if you know what I mean... I am on bikes all summer so I am not in a rush once I start the job...

Old 05-12-2019, 07:42 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

Hi all, I am in the same situation and have a 2007 LR3 with a dead 4.0 litre V6, picking it up and bringing it home with a friend's vehicle trailer this coming weekend. Apparently the timing chain or gear at the passenger side cylinder head rear disintegrated so I'll be removing the engine for repair/replacement. If replacement I am hoping to just purchase a short block remanufactured Explorer (4x4 version) V6 and drop it in, but will have to see what the LR3 ECU wants to see for engine sensor inputs. Am thinking of the engine parts that can be recovered from the LR3, but some, like the starter motor, the pesky crankshaft position sensor and the equally mysterious camshaft position sensor may not play well with the Ford. If it is absolutely necessary to get an engine with Land Rover specs I'll do it, but not without a fight. Have already ordered the cam chain kit (Cloyes 90398SB) and the installation tool set, will be trying to figure out how to remove the engine with the least amount of hassle, but it looks like a pretty big job...

Old 05-14-2019, 12:49 PM
Overlanding

enb54

Sounds like you are in for some adventures, I am very interested in hearing how you make out with your project.

Funny aside, every time I keep researching my options I wind up thinking about doing an electric conversion. For my requirements I do not need long range as my primary vehicle is an new F150 (oh and a Harley Road Glide Custom).
About two years ago I read every library book I could get on the subject.

If anyone has made or adapted a coupler that leverages the existing Transmission please let me know. I want to keep the 4 X 4.

Scott

Old 05-15-2019, 12:49 AM
Rock Crawling

Picked up and now in my garage, will be starting sometime late this week...
Yes, I'm quite sure that there will be some experiential learnings on this journey, but since there is a lot of interest, am sure I'll have a lot of help. We will be picking it up this weekend and I have already lined up a few potential Ford Explorer/Ranger 4x4 donors with the supposedly same engine, once I start I'll be photographing and also trying to make a video. Am pretty sure there will be quite a bit of interest, of course if I get PO'd will be selling off the "project" for parts...

Last edited by enb54; 05-20-2019 at 12:18 PM. Reason: Add Photo May 20
Old 05-21-2019, 11:47 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Scott_C
enb54

Sounds like you are in for some adventures, I am very interested in hearing how you make out with your project.

Funny aside, every time I keep researching my options I wind up thinking about doing an electric conversion. For my requirements I do not need long range as my primary vehicle is an new F150 (oh and a Harley Road Glide Custom).
About two years ago I read every library book I could get on the subject.

If anyone has made or adapted a coupler that leverages the existing Transmission please let me know. I want to keep the 4 X 4.

Scott
Hi Scott, worked in electronics for many years and have seen many electric vehicles, I'd estimate (conservatively) that Canadian winter driving drops the published range of the commercial car offerings by about 50% and perhaps even more depending on the terrain. I believe in the concept of electric vehicles but not using battery power, I am one of those Hydrogen fuel cell characters, with a nuclear power plant thrown in for absolutely no fossil fuel emissions (electrical power generation). In the political fight to see who will win though, I'll hang on to my gasoline powered project (unless I part it out) for now...

Old 05-28-2019, 02:26 PM
Overlanding

Hey enb54

I hear you,,, yes Electric has a lot of down sides but is an option for me specifically if I run into major engine repairs. I live in town (so Uber works as a plan B) Also this is my spare vehicle and the most I drive it is 15 KM in a day so lack of range is not an issue.

Anyway, good luck with the transplant.

Scott

Old 05-28-2019, 08:48 PM
Rock Crawling

Thanks Scott, still haven't got to it, too many family priorities and a definite lack of 4.0L Explorer or Ranger 4x4 old engines to play with. I'll get there one of these days though, will post when starting...

Quick Reply: Looking for LR3 4.0 L V6 Master rebuild kit