LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LR3 brakes humming when i accelerate

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2015, 01:20 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LR3 brakes humming when i accelerate

Yesterday i went mud riding and i notice the hill descent light came on the dash, so i switched to "normal" and back to "mud ruts", that would stop it for a while, but it would come on and off at times and i'd switch back and forth to "Normal" to "Mud Ruts", then on the way home i heard a humming coming from what i think is right brake rotor when i accelerate. Today when i started the truck, it read on dash "Check Brake Pads", then the lights goes out and just "Brakes" is lit up on dash, but every time i start it "Check Brake Pads" come on again, also it's still humming like a pad is dragging. i held my hand on brake caliper and none of the caliper are hot??? "Hill Descent" never came on again since i finished mudding.

Old 11-02-2015, 10:13 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 129 Likes on 118 Posts

There are two wear sensors. Driver's side front and passenger side rear. Did you check all brake calipers? Maybe it is coincidentally time to change brakes?

What you will probably want to do is check your calipers and pads. Maybe it's wear and maybe its mud or rocks that got up in there. It's only 4 bolts to open that area up to the bare rotors. 2x 13mm hex and 2x 15mm 12-point. Torque values for putting them back together are 13mm: 35nm (26ft/lbs?) and 15mm: 115nm (~85ft/lbs?)

That'll give you some more info to work with. If you don't want to open the area up maybe find an indy guy you trust just to give it a look. Coincidentally the only time I have actually tripped a brake pads sensor was mudding.

Old 11-02-2015, 02:20 PM
5th Gear

Thanks Dave, I'm totally new to LR, but love the machine! I brought it to a shop this morning, they never touched a LR before and said it sounded like a bearing in a hub, he said it sounded like rear tires and not front, so i let him drive and he def said it must be rear cause front doesn't feel like a bearing, no slack or grinding when he turned. He did say he just changed a Mercedes brake sensor, that did something similar and he'll check brakes out first. I did notice this morning that the "tire light" on the dash was on this morning also.

Old 11-02-2015, 02:32 PM
5th Gear

Hey Dave, it was back brake pads and sensor, he said i had a lot of grass on boots and that might be setting off the tire sensor. Thanks for your help. i appreciate this mechanic and mechanic shops honesty and told them i plan on buying another Rover for myself, so i now have a reliable shop i can bring them to, i'm 2 hours away from a LR dealership to the east and 2 hours from LR dealership to the west.

Old 11-02-2015, 02:40 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by mstdizier
Hey Dave, it was back brake pads and sensor, he said i had a lot of grass on boots and that might be setting off the tire sensor. Thanks for your help. i appreciate this mechanic and mechanic shops honesty and told them i plan on buying another Rover for myself, so i now have a reliable shop i can bring them to, i'm 2 hours away from a LR dealership to the east and 2 hours from LR dealership to the west.
Great! Happy to hear it.

Old 11-02-2015, 04:48 PM
5th Gear

Hey DavC, They changed pads and light came off, the pads only had a day or so left, but its still humming... can't really tell which wheel is humming. They said maybe give it a week or so and it'll get worse, then maybe it'll be easier to tell which wheel it is.

Old 11-03-2015, 05:51 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Maybe wheel bearing? Maybe some wiring got loose out of the loom and is rubbing on a moving part? If you're not getting so much heat from one particular place I don't think the problem is brakes anymore.

If its a bearing you can test it by jacking up that wheel and moving it from side to side and up and down, if it moves at all then you need to change the bearing. The link is to an AB video how-to.

Old 11-04-2015, 08:33 AM
5th Gear

Hey DavC, I was a step ahead, i found the same video after leaving mechanic shop, but i certainly appreciate your sharing. This is my first LR and i'm certainly no mechanic. I jacked up all 4 tires and they all seemed tight and no slack like video. the humming seems to have gotten a little louder, i'll take a video today and see if i can post here.